"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

I check out flea markets for them (SO drags me to them once or twice a year). I have found some classics for $1 to $3 each.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
It's a terrible sickness I know - [...] Blinders might help but I think I could smell all that paper!!!!!
Mmm! Paper infused with the smell of all those meals cooked from the pages of that cookbook. How could one not give it a good home?

Old 10-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #43
Senior Cook

Maybe 800 or more.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #44
Cook

I haven't counted, but I'm guessing I have in the ballpark of 70-80. I've gotten a lot at garage sales, half.com, and overstock. With all the great resources on the net, you'd think I wouldn't keep buying them, and I HAVE become more selective, but there's still a huge draw to being able to pull out a tall stack of cookbooks and a notebook and curling up on the couch to dream and plan..
Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #45
Master Chef

Oh goodness - I hate to think about it, since collecting cookbooks is an obsession with me. I probably have somewhere between 300 & 400. Everything from old first editions & out-of-print volumes, many inherited from old world relatives, to full series of authors I like, like Julia Child, Jeff Smith, the "Beautiful" series cookbooks, etc.

We did erect a small floor-to-ceiling bookshelf near the kitchen exclusively for cookbooks, but it's way way too small for even part of my collection, so I end up switching the volumes around to what I'm using at the moment. The rest are in stacks or packed away at the moment, awaiting when we start building our "library" shelves in a spare room. In addition to cookbooks, I also have tons of gardening books, & my husband also collects books that appeal to him. In fact, our house at the moment resembles a totally disorganized used bookshop - lol!!!

But getting back to cookbooks, one of my old favorites is a compendium of old restaurant menus put together by one of my favorite actors, Vincent Price & his wife at the time. Not only are the menus (& their old-time prices) a real hoot to read, but the recipes are absolutely priceless as to gourmet cooking in years gone by.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #46
Executive Chef

since I've inherited half of mom's well over one hundred. more on the way tho...
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #47
Senior Cook

A few hundred. Many are small though.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Not nearly enough. Maybe 10 if I'm lucky
Old 10-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #49
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Oh goodness - I hate to think about it, since collecting cookbooks is an obsession with me. I probably have somewhere between 300 & 400. Everything from old first editions & out-of-print volumes, many inherited from old world relatives, to full series of authors I like, like Julia Child, Jeff Smith, the "Beautiful" series cookbooks, etc.

We did erect a small floor-to-ceiling bookshelf near the kitchen exclusively for cookbooks, but it's way way too small for even part of my collection, so I end up switching the volumes around to what I'm using at the moment. The rest are in stacks or packed away at the moment, awaiting when we start building our "library" shelves in a spare room. In addition to cookbooks, I also have tons of gardening books, & my husband also collects books that appeal to him. In fact, our house at the moment resembles a totally disorganized used bookshop - lol!!!

But getting back to cookbooks, one of my old favorites is a compendium of old restaurant menus put together by one of my favorite actors, Vincent Price & his wife at the time. Not only are the menus (& their old-time prices) a real hoot to read, but the recipes are absolutely priceless as to gourmet cooking in years gone by.
We bought the Vincent Price book, "The Treasury of Great Recipes," for my in-laws as a present and later inherited it. It's a perennial favorite on eBay and quite a beauty. It's one of close to 800 cookbooks we have that fill a large bookshelf in our family room and a specially made bookshelf in our breakfast room. I even have some in my office. It's an obsession with us.

Our collection is quite eclectic, with the oldest dating back to the late 1800s (a first edition "The Epicurean") and the newest on order (the latest Joy of Cooking). We tend to like mid-20th century -- guess it's the retro appeal. But if I had to choose my most cherished, it would be the handwritten recipe books and boxes with index cards from both my mom and my MIL.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #50
Master Chef

SuzyQ3 - I did get two pristine copies of the Vincent Price book from E-Bay!! And they were definitely bargains. I bought the first one for myself, & then when I realized how interesting it was, I bought another one for my parents, who I knew would definitely appreciate all those old menus from their younger restaurant dining days. Mom positively adored it!! I definitely recommend it to anyone with older parents who used to dine out in the "good old days". The restaurant menus are from all over the country.

I'm also pleased to have inherited a few cookbooks from older relatives no longer with us. One in particular - a really old book on Czech cooking (since I'm 100% Czech). While I haven't done any cooking from it yet (since I have so many recipes from my parents to use), it surely is an interesting read into a culture.