How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may have already posted on this thread....Too many pages to look through.
I have A LOT of cookbooks. But I am a bibliophile anyway. Now that I have been turned on to Kindle by CWS, I have a whole new realm of books to read....and they take up space only on my computer. Still....e books will never replace real books, IMHO.

If you folks want to go absolutely mad, and if you are ever in the Boston area, Radcliff College for Women has a large library of cookbooks written by women only. Some of them go back to the 1500's. Bring white gloves with you. Just in case you ever come across one, you can learn how to slay, skin and cook a Yak. Also other farm animals. Swans on the menu anyone? :chef:

If you folks want to go absolutely mad, and if you are ever in the Boston area, Radcliff College for Women has a large library of cookbooks written by women only. Some of them go back to the 1500's. Bring white gloves with you. Just in case you ever come across one, you can learn how to slay, skin and cook a Yak. Also other farm animals. Swans on the menu anyone? :chef:
The natives in my area are partial to young swans.

I'd love to try swan, but in the U.K. all the mute swans living in open water belong to H.M. the Queen. So, first catch your swan - although you are not beheaded these days:ermm:

I have just bought another cook book or two, I love grown up jellies so have bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/JELLY-Bompa...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343500190&sr=1-1, lovely recipe for glow in the dark (UV light though) G&T jelly, can't wait for Halloween.

Plus a book for espuma/foams, well I've got to justify buying the cream whipper haven't I?

This thread prompted me to go count them. 47. :ohmy::) At least 40 of them are from my late grandmother and mother, so they are definitely keepers. I love the little handwritten notes in them and have kept their little bookmarks in place, marking various pages. :wub:

I may have already posted on this thread....Too many pages to look through.
I have A LOT of cookbooks. But I am a bibliophile anyway. Now that I have been turned on to Kindle by CWS, I have a whole new realm of books to read....and they take up space only on my computer. Still....e books will never replace real books, IMHO.
Glad I could help;). I now have a collection of Kindle cookbooks as well....might need a bigger hard drive.

I have lost count between the two apartments

I truly have lost count between the two apartments, one a rental loft in Madrid, and our Condo in reform in Puglia.

Good post.

Kindest and enjoy your summer,
Ciao, Margi.

I now have 998 physical copies of cookbooks...I gave two away recently. No, that's wrong, I picked up two more at the thrift store. Still holding at 1000...and I haven't counted the e-books...

Cookbooks are a curse!

A couple of weeks ago I found a church cookbook published in 1922 that had some recipes from my grandmother in it. My father was only 3 years old when it was published.

I also came across a children's candy making cook book published prior to 1920 and a Mennonite cook book from 1951.

As these old ones come in the newer ones need to go!

I have a bag ready to go to the thrift shop and more keep creeping in!

Strange hobby for someone who is a diabetic and always on a diet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Cookbooks are a curse!

A couple of weeks ago I found a church cookbook published in 1922 that had some recipes from my grandmother in it. My father was only 3 years old when it was published.

I also came across a children's candy making cook book published prior to 1920 and a Mennonite cook book from 1951.

As these old ones come in the newer ones need to go!

I have a bag ready to go to the thrift shop and more keep creeping in!

Strange hobby for someone who is a diabetic and always on a diet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Oh, do I understand this one!:angel:

I just went and counted my cookbooks. Looks like I own 19 total. Not that many - and I could probably get rid of half of those because I never open them. Most of the ones I do open, I've only tried a handful of the recipes (one exception is a curry cookbook. I know I've tried at least 30 of the recipes in that one).

BUT I probably have thousands of recipes squirreled away on my computer. ;)

Oh, do I understand this one!:angel:
The technical term for that is called "virtual cooking." I do it all the time. I get my sugar fix reading candy-making cookbooks, my carb fix reading pasta or Italian cookbooks. Only problem is, I end up hungry! The same thing happens when looking at the photos DCers post. That, I believe, is a Pavlovian response...

I just went and counted my cookbooks. Looks like I own 19 total. Not that many - and I could probably get rid of half of those because I never open them. Most of the ones I do open, I've only tried a handful of the recipes (one exception is a curry cookbook. I know I've tried at least 30 of the recipes in that one).

BUT I probably have thousands of recipes squirreled away on my computer. ;)
I don't even want to go there (how many recipes or cookbooks or scanned cooking magazines are on my hard drive or two mem-sticks). I probably should have a dedicated computer just for recipes and cooking files...I bring my laptop into the kitchen and set it up so I can read the recipe on the screen...that way, I don't waste paper printing it. When it is in the kitchen, I call it "the cookbook.":)

I have 12. Had plenty more but gave them away. I read them like stories but never actually cook from them. I have many books with hand written recipes that I've collected over the years. My first one I started when I was seven, it's an old M. Roberts herbal diary that my Gran bought for me. I wrote all my first food creations down in it, including my recipe for Fluffy scrambled eggs with Chicken drummies lol!

I don't even want to go there (how many recipes or cookbooks or scanned cooking magazines are on my hard drive or two mem-sticks). I probably should have a dedicated computer just for recipes and cooking files...I bring my laptop into the kitchen and set it up so I can read the recipe on the screen...that way, I don't waste paper printing it. When it is in the kitchen, I call it "the cookbook.":)
I do the same thing. I have a netbook sitting on the counter that serves two purposes: recipes and playing music while I'm cooking.

I do the same thing. I have a netbook sitting on the counter that serves two purposes: recipes and playing music while I'm cooking.
I would do that if I had the counter space to spare. I print the recipe and stick it on the fridge with a magnet. Then I make notes on it and put it in a three ring binder.

Shrek didn't know it when he told me to go ahead and order my Birthday present...I ordered a new cookbook...:angel:

P.S. - it is not my Birthday, but it is coming up.

Back
Top Bottom