"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cutting board - wood, acrylic or something else?

do i need more than one cutting board? i am in the market for a practical cutting board that is also inexpensive. it has been ages since i last looked at cutting boards, so i'm hoping for some help.

for the most part, i use a cutting board for cutting and chopping various vegetables. occasionally, i use one for meats, both cooked and raw.

i have been using the same homemade wooden cutting board most of my adult life. but now my board has become so warped and worn that i really must face the fact that it needs to be replaced.

what kind of cutting board do you like best and use yourself? do you have a separate board for cutting raw meat? is there a material or brand that you would recommend? thanks for your help with this....

Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have 6-8 plastic cutting boards of various sizes. They go in the DW after each use where they are sanitized by high temp water. They are inexpensive and easy to care for. They do become stained with use so periodically, I bleach them overnight and wash them off. White as snow again.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know if you need more than one cutting board, but I do. Mine go in the DW, too, so sometimes I need to do some cutting before I run a load.
I have a couple 1/4" thick plastic (?) boards in two different sizes and four color coded thin boards of a plastic material, too. I don't necessarily pay attention to using the "right" color for what I am cutting though, since I feel they are thoroughly washed after use. And I have a wood board with the juice groove running around it.
I use the thin boards all the time. And they take very little room to store. The thicker boards come in handy if you need to carry something on them, like a beer can chicken in from the grill.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

I too have more than one. All 4 are different size, all plastic, but not acrylic. Acrylic I think is too hard and it will ruin the knife. All dishwasher safe. I finally got rid off couple of wooden boards I had.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have 3 small and 2 large plastic cutting boards. All of them go in the dishwasher. I also have an oval wooden cutting board that is used mostly for bread, but also for serving meat on occasion. It gets hand washed. Some of the plastic ones are getting old and warped. I will probably replace them with wooden ones.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

We use plastic cutting boards..all for different things
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Master Chef

I have a large plastic one and a smaller wooden one (almost 2"thick) and a smaller bamboo one. I use the wooden one most because it sits on my counter beside the stove. It gets scrubbed in hot water often and occasionally bleached and re-oiled. The plastic one goes in the dishwasher. It has a groove around the edge to catch some liquids and juices. The little bamboo one is only used for small jobs like if I want a single slice of tomato or cheese for a sandwich.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Executive Chef

thank you for all your input, guys! i can see now that i have been quite by myself unnecessarily using dinner plates and things for my small cutting board needs. i should just shut up and buy myself a set of assorted plastic boards, and be done with it!:) sometimes i just have to marvel at all the things i have gone through my whole life without knowing....:)
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have 3 small and 2 large plastic cutting boards. All of them go in the dishwasher. I also have an oval wooden cutting board that is used mostly for bread, but also for serving meat on occasion. It gets hand washed. Some of the plastic ones are getting old and warped. I will probably replace them with wooden ones.
I forgot to mention that I want wooden ones because wood is naturally anti-microbial.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thank you for all your input, guys! i can see now that i have been quite by myself unnecessarily using dinner plates and things for my small cutting board needs. i should just shut up and buy myself a set of assorted plastic boards, and be done with it!:) sometimes i just have to marvel at all the things i have gone through my whole life without knowing....:)
V, call me old fashioned but I think wood is best. I've owned plastic, granite and ceramic. I've thrown them all out! Plastic looks gross once you've had it a while, granite slips and ceramic damages my knives.
I have 2 thick wooden boards, one for bread and veg etc. and one for meats. I wash them with warm soapy water and use disinfectant kitchen spray when I've cut meats. I've never had food poisoning from food cooked in my own home ever either.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote