"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
Thanks for the info. on the pasta makers. Are the rollers as hard to clean as I have heard ? The tall, dark Italian or for that matter several tall, dark Italians would be great, and really great if some of them make pasta.
I don't clean the rollers since they never really get dirty. I have a long handled brush that I just sweep the flour out with. Getting the rolling mechanism wet would gunk up the works..

Old 09-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I've had an *Imperia, for years, that I'm very happy with - no attachments or motors. It's very easy to cut the dough by hand for i.e. ravioli etc. The book I like is (The Good Cook - Techniques & Recipes) Pasta, by Time-Life Books (in hardcover). It covers everything from making basic or flavored dough (technique and pictures) to recipes for every shape pasta and sauces.

*The Imperia also comes with a little booklet of recipes, and I've seen many homemade pasta recipes on the web, as well. The lemon pasta is one of my faves.

A tip when making ravioli - for the zig-zag edges, use a pizza cutter, or a sewing tracing wheel. The tracing wheels are inexpensive - but keep one just for pasta.

One of the most eye-appealing ravioli I've seen are striped - a combo of three flavors of pasta, i.e. spinach, beets, lemon - whatever you like (made separately), then run thru the machine.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Talking Pasta maker

Hi, I have three pasta makers, the best is the Kitchen Aide for me ,
Old 09-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

kitchen aide stand mixer with attachments
Old 09-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I clicked on the Top Ten Pasta Makers under the blue bar on DC and here they are: http://www.splise.com/Pasta+Makers/category_2618.html

Looks like Kitchen Aid wins.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #16
Master Chef

I'm always a little suspicious of sites that rank products and don't give the criteria they used for their rankings.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
My favourite pasta maker? My hands!!
To me, kneading the dough is less of a hassle than cleaning all the bits and pieces from the machine afterwards, my hands are much easier and quicker to wash out, too

Well, this is just an opinion of someone who detest washing up

But seriously, if you are not so exact on the shapes you produce, and if you are looking to things like lasagne, tagliatelle, ravioli etc., it is worth a try.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
My favourite pasta maker? My hands!!
I'm with you, urmaniac. Mixing flour and an egg, (and whatever you would like to add for a flavored pasta), only takes a few minutes. One of the reasons I like the Imperia is because it flattens the dough out for you, making it the right thickness for even cooking and to cut in the shapes you please.

Takes me back to the time I bought one of those pasta extruders made by you know who - initials RP. The pasta never extruded & the noise of the machine would wake up the dead. I can see where the motor would probably have exploded. My opinion, why spend big bucks on KA/attachments, when you can do it yourself or use a food processor any time of the year.

An important factor, other than mixing the dough is cooking time. Don't over cook fresh homemade pasta. Drying factor - When I first bought my pasta book (mentioned in my previous post), I did not have a drying apparatus -- so I hung the strands over a broomstick suspended between two chairs. Bottom line - if you've never made it from scratch before, make sure you have the proper utensils and don't over cook. Mixing the dough is only one step.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I am not really interested in a device that kneads for me. I just want to be able to roll it out, I have tried to do this, but I haven't ever gotten it thin enough. Mish, I ordered your book, it should be here anyday. Thank you.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Well, from someone with a KA .... buy an Imperia/VillaWare with the motor. It will cost you about the same or less than the KA Pasta Roller Set- and you can get more pasta cutters for it.
Michael:

Are you recommending the Imperia only because it has a greater variety of cutters or is there an issue with the KA attachment?