"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Master Chef

Fantastic skillet find!!

QVC.com item #K24549

Received this fabulous skillet a few days ago, and love, love love it!!
Now tell me where you can find another skillet of this quality for less than 20 bucks!!
I got mine in red, but several colors are available.
"Stylish, durable, and multifunctional, this porcelain enameled skillet goes from the stove or oven directly to the table. Its cast iron construction provides exceptional heat retention for superior searing and browning, while the cream, enameled interior helps to resists stains and odors. From Technique(R) Cookware. "
Just thought I'd pass along this great find.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Master Chef

Here's the link to that skillet......
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?view=2&app=detail&params=item^K24549,f rames^y,from^se,cm_scid^isrc,cm_ssi^Item:%20K24549 &cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-K24549

Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I have a complete phobia concerning MADE IN CHINA , melamine in milk ,lead in kids toys , recalls and revelations ,computer circuit boards being burned in family cooking woks to recyle the metals.etc etc human rights abuse etc. I just don't think they have health and saftey standards and/or enforcement. made in china isn't on my shopping list.
That's my rant ,i've seen the chinese enameled ware ,looks nice ,if crude and thick but I'd rather pay ten times as much and feel I can trust it. I have all the cast iron I need and more ( bought 30 years ago ) Jotul ,waterford and lodge,but I'd buy lodge or le creuset for my kids anyday over an unknowable asian brand with heaven knows what in the metal. Regards Gage
Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
I have a complete phobia concerning MADE IN CHINA , melamine in milk ,lead in kids toys , recalls and revelations ,computer circuit boards being burned in family cooking woks to recyle the metals.etc etc human rights abuse etc. I just don't think they have health and saftey standards and/or enforcement. made in china isn't on my shopping list.
That's my rant ,i've seen the chinese enameled ware ,looks nice ,if crude and thick but I'd rather pay ten times as much and feel I can trust it. I have all the cast iron I need and more ( bought 30 years ago ) Jotul ,waterford and lodge,but I'd buy lodge or le creuset for my kids anyday over an unknowable asian brand with heaven knows what in the metal. Regards Gage
Ummm, since you have "all the expensive high end enameled cookware" you'll ever need, congratulations, this post is not for you.
Regards back atcha. Kayelle

Old 03-29-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Kayelle, I hope you enjoy your skillet for a long time. Many of us can't afford all the le creuset pieces like some others. Enjoy your purchase in good health.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Gage's sentiment is understandable; but unfortunately many, if not most high end brands, are having plenty of their wears manufactured in China and in the instance of AllClad, we have a 6 quart deep saute pan whose inside bottom cooking surface is starting to pit. Not knowing that it is pitting, I scratched the pitted areas by scrubbing it with a stiff plastic brush intended for use on nonstick pans.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
Executive Chef

pitting from salt is a cosmetic issue. Stainless steel is a misnomer...lots of things can stain it, but it won't rust under normal usage. Salt affects all metals.

It is true, many name companies have some or all of their lines made in China. Most of AllClad is made in PA. French copper and enameled cast iron is made in France. Lodge cast iron is made in the US, but their enameled cast iron is made in China.

Are all Chinese products poorly made? No. But quality control can be difficult to enforce. I have used Technique cookware and it is fine. Enameling on cast iron is heated to an extreme heat, so it should be sterile, but do be careful of chipping. That has been known to be an issue with cheaper pans, even name brand lines.

While I understand the need to be thrifty, and live by a budget, life has shown me that buying the best gives the best results and costs less overall in the end.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
pitting from salt is a cosmetic issue. Stainless steel is a misnomer...lots of things can stain it, but it won't rust under normal usage. Salt affects all metals.
We have copper disk bottomed WMF INOX cookware in use for 45 years that has no pitting.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I absolutely apologise if I offended , I just meant that the materials could be suspect /warranty dodgey and that I personally wouldn't take what I see as a risk ,I'm not the brightest candle on the the christmas tree so use your oun good judgement by all means. try a pommes tatin (sp ) in it you will love it. DON'T BURN YOUR HAND !!!! Have fun-- Gage
Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Head Chef

If cost is an issue why not consider a regular CI pan? They can be had for about the same price as the enameled one in the link. They are a bit more work, but not much more. And it's a labor of love!