"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for similar clay pot. Help please!

Hi everyone,

I need help find a clay pot similar to the one in the picture only smaller. https://twitter.com/YarnerT/status/4...960704/photo/1 I bought this one a couple of years ago at a local Portuguese store. My aunt came to visit and LOVED it, so now I want to buy her one, but in a smaller size. The store I bought this one at only has bigger or very small ones, and looking on the internet I can't find this style of clay pot. I don't even know the proper name for it other than clay pot.

Does anyone know the proper name for this type of pot, or where online I can find such a thing? I'm looking for one that is 9"-10" wide and 4"-4.5" deep.

Thank you immensely!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Sous Chef

In Germany they have a similar type called a Römertopf.
Some are very similar to the one you have.

Romertopfe Romertopf stew pot crockpots stewpots

Edit: I just went upstairs and asked one of the Portuguese ladies in IT and she said its called a "cachola"

Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

We have seen similar ones in Mexico. Is this one too small?

Mexican Red Clay Pottery Covered Bowl Hand Painted Floral Dot Pattern 7 x 2 5 | eBay

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Almost forgot.........Welcome to DC.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'm sorry I can't help you too much---- I was going to suggest World Market (Cost Plus) but I'm not sure they have stores in Canada.

But where-ever you buy one, please make sure it doesn't contain lead in the glaze. In the US, our FDA keeps a watch out for imports that contain lead. Maybe there's something similar to that in Canada?

Any ceramic cookware you buy from Ebay or privately---- please question the seller carefully.

Welcome.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I'm sorry I can't help you too much---- I was going to suggest World Market (Cost Plus) but I'm not sure they have stores in Canada.

But where-ever you buy one, please make sure it doesn't contain lead in the glaze. In the US, our FDA keeps a watch out for imports that contain lead. Maybe there's something similar to that in Canada?

Any ceramic cookware you buy from Ebay or privately---- please question the seller carefully.

Welcome.
Thanks for bringing that up Cave. I thought about that after I left my previous post.
On second thought, I don't think I'd trust one from Mexico.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Executive Chef

i used to have a place in carvoeiro,on the algarve & used to see that pattern on loads of different earthenware pots.seems to be a popular pattern in portugal.the pots in these photo's aren't exactly the same but i bet this guy knows where you can get them.might mean a trip to portugal to get it tho'!!
looks like a straightforward deep casserole dish to me.happy huntin' & welcome to dc!!
Taking Earth and Fire to make Heavenly Earthenware… | Local Heart, Global Soul
Old 12-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnerT View Post
Hi everyone,

I need help find a clay pot similar to the one in the picture only smaller. https://twitter.com/YarnerT/status/4...960704/photo/1 I bought this one a couple of years ago at a local Portuguese store. My aunt came to visit and LOVED it, so now I want to buy her one, but in a smaller size. The store I bought this one at only has bigger or very small ones, and looking on the internet I can't find this style of clay pot. I don't even know the proper name for it other than clay pot.

Does anyone know the proper name for this type of pot, or where online I can find such a thing? I'm looking for one that is 9"-10" wide and 4"-4.5" deep.

Thank you immensely!
Try googling "terracotta" cooking pots. Also try googling "cazuela" (the Spanish name) on Amazon. there are dozens of smilar pots on there. As others have said, make sure it doesn't have a lead glaze. La Tiendra is a good, lead-free brand name.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Head Chef

If the ones from Mexico (or any other country) were imported through FDA's inspection, they SHOULD be o.k. (note emphasis)

But if a person is buying one off of eBay or from someone who visited Mexico (or any other country) then, as I said---- think carefully. If it doesn't worry someone, then that's their prerogative.

I'm not picking on Mexico. A quick look at the FDA site will show there are other countries too. Mexico is just the closest to the US, so.......
Old 12-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

As a frequent visitor to Mexico, I find most Mexican products are very safe. That said, some do still use lead in glazes. Apparently, hardware stores have do-it-yourself lead testing kits. If it has lead, then it should be for serving or decorative purposes, not for cooking. Lead crystal also contains lead, and shouldn't be used for storing, just for serving.