"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, that is so cool,

Thanks very much, roadfix!

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Cool video, roadfix. Now if the whole world could just sit down and break bread and share food together...

Old 01-14-2019, 05:00 AM   #13
Head Chef

Very interesting video. Is there anything that can't be found on youtube?

Not sure what the narrator meant by his comment at the end that you can achieve similar results by slow cooking in a pressure cooker (5:00), but agree that it just wouldn't be the same as the tangia.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Not sure what the narrator meant by his comment at the end that you can achieve similar results by slow cooking in a pressure cooker (5:00), but agree that it just wouldn't be the same as the tangia.

I think it’s this whole ritual and use of this unique (to us) cooking vessel that can’t be compared..
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods once where AZ and a friend when through the market, bought meats, veggies and seasonings to fill and sealed the pot (like the ones pictured) and took it to a communal oven for baking.

There were assorted devices baking inside the communal ovens we saw in Marrakesh. Cant recall any that looked like the above pic though. We saw probably 70 million tagines ….
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Andy, you're pretty sharp. I vaguely remembered that episode.
I remember it because I saw my old neighbors use a couple of them to cook lamb for a post Eid meal.

n.o.t., check this out: Moroccan tangia/Tanjia | Marrakesh Tangia/Tanjia | Fes Tangia/Tanjia

I've been on the lookout for a safe (lead free) tagine that's about 14" across or more, and deep. Since it'll only be an occasional thing, I want to be able to use it for a lot of guests (in the Muslim tradition), or to make enough for leftovers.
Thanks for the link b.t., that is the one I ordered a while back, I was on a waiting list for a long time and they finally e-mailed me and said it was in stock. I ordered it and got a confirmation e-mail that said they wouldn't charge my card until it shipped. Well, they charged my card and now they won't reply to my e-mails, I'm not sure if it will ever get here.

I think the biggest Tagine I have is 12", it is glazed but I have used it over coals without problems, just not directly in the fire. I'm not sure if you will find an unglazed Tagine bigger than 12", but I'm wrong all the time, so who knows.

Some Tagines have a deeper bottom part and a shorter dome, some have a shallow bottom and a big dome. Sounds like you need a deep bottom design, It's more forgiving when it comes to a dish that needs a lot of water or more capacity. You have to be careful with the shallow bottom ones because adding just a little water when starting can have your liquid overflowing once the pile of meat and veggies let loose of their liquid.

Most everything I cook outside in clay starts out with no water at all, it's like a SHTF technique, if you have some veggies and some meat but very little or no water, you can still make a dish that has liquid at the end, you just have to know how to keep the stuff from burning before it lets loose of it's liquid. (and this is some very tasty "non-watered down" liquid)

n.o.t.
new old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I have quite a collection of tagines - collected in Morocco and Turkish. First of all, they need 'seasoning' before you can use them:

It's simple: you simply brush the pots with oil, preferably olive oil, and then then bake - yes, bake them - at a moderate temperature - for two or three hours, and then let them cool at room temperature. Do this two or three times, then they'll be perfect for your recipes!!

di reston

Peeple of ze wurl, relax

Tom Robbins - Fierce invalids home from from hot climates
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

well, maybe my luck is changing, I just got an e-mail saying that my Tangia is on it's way, I don't know if anyone noticed or not, but the link that buckytom posted is the one that I ordered and it is already out of stock again, good thing I was on a waiting list.

Anyway, I'll post some pics when it gets here and some more when I use it.

new old timer

new old timer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking