"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
There are detectable low emissions of PFOA emanating from Teflon non stick cookware. I don't want my food to be anywhere near such sources. Personal choice you understand.
You keep making this statement. It's not true. PFOA is present in the manufacturing process, not the finished product. Did you read the Good Housekeeping article I exerpted?

Old 02-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #22
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Let us know when you figure it out.

Personally, I don't blame the son for the sins of the father, so to speak.
I have more than figured out the atrocious situation of biotech companies producing GM products with its agenda/implications. I was merely hinting here. I have done intense research into it but it is off topic here so will let it be. Rest assured though that I am fully briefed on the subject. Thankfully the general public are slowly waking up too!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have more than figured out the atrocious situation of biotech companies producing GM products with its agenda/implications. I was merely hinting here. I have done intense research into it but it is off topic here so will let it be. Rest assured though that I am fully briefed on the subject. Thankfully the general public are slowly waking up too!
If your research on GM products is as good as your research on PFOAs, you might want to reconsider your sources.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #24
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

My favorite nonstick pan is made by scan pan, a danish company. Pans are PFOA-Free and virtually bullet proof.

Most ceramic pans I've used have a brittle coating that is easily damaged but scan pans are the exception in my experience. They have several models and the classic has the most comfortable handle, imo. It's also the cheapest.

Interesting reading about this issue here including a snippet from Consomers Unions testing a few years back of overly hot pans and hazards: Teflon ScanpanCookware.com
Old 02-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #25
Head Chef

Exclamation

Quote:
If your research on GM products is as good as your research on PFOAs, you might want to reconsider your sources.
You are wrong (I have already disclosed that I have done intense research into the GM issue) so there is no need to be condascending.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #26
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
My favorite nonstick pan is made by scan pan, a danish company. Pans are PFOA-Free and virtually bullet proof.

Most ceramic pans I've used have a brittle coating that is easily damaged but scan pans are the exception in my experience. They have several models and the classic has the most comfortable handler, imo. It's also the cheapest.

Interesting reading about this issue here including a snippet from Consomers Unions testing a few years back of overly hot pans and hazards: Teflon ScanpanCookware.com
Thanks for this post. Interesting. It is definitely a step up however, I have a genetic lung
condition so the PTFE fumes sound off putting to me. Although it says they are not harmful
I would rather cook with a product that does not have the ability to release any fumes.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You are wrong (I have already disclosed that I have done intense research into the GM issue) so there is no need to be condascending.
I know you say you've done "research." I also know you're not exactly scientific in your choice of sources or your evaluation of what you've read. You have a disdain for the scientific method and a fondness for magical thinking that color your opinions. Those are facts
Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #28
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
I know you say you've done "research." I also know you're not exactly scientific in your choice of sources or your evaluation of what you've read. You have a disdain for the scientific method and a fondness for magical thinking that color your opinions. Those are facts
There is no need to put the word research in brackets (in mock fashion) since I have not divulged the extent of my knowledge of the GM issue on this forum hence you have no way of appraising the extent of this research. However it is revealing in how you so wrongly appraise me.

Also you are wrong about my disdain of scientific methods. I do welcome them but they cannot account for everything. I could equally reflect that back at you and say you place to high a regard on science like it is the be and end all...only on certain matters.

Magical thinking embraces such phenomenon as positive thinking. It has transformed my life beyond all recognition (and those of countless others) so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it since this merely highlights your ignorance. It does not colour/affect my opinions on food really though - that is a different category. You may have a bias against organic food though?
Old 02-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
There is no need to put the word research in brackets (in mock fashion) since I have not divulged the extent of my knowledge of the GM issue on this forum hence you have no way of appraising the extent of this research. However it is revealing in how you so wrongly appraise me.

Your choices of sources you've posted here make your research methods pretty clear.

Quote:
Also you are wrong about my disdain of scientific methods. I do welcome them but they cannot account for everything. I could equally reflect that back at you and say you place to high a regard on science like it is the be and end all...only on certain matters.

Magical thinking embraces such phenomenon as positive thinking.
No, it does not. Magical thinking is a logical fallacy. "Magical thinking*is the attribution of causal orsynchronistic*relationships between actions and events which seemingly cannot be justified by reason and observation. Inreligion,*folk religion, and*superstitious*beliefs, the posited correlation is often between religious*ritual,*prayer,*sacrifice, or the observance of a*taboo, and an expected benefit or recompense. In*clinical psychology, magical thinking can cause a patient to experience fear of performing certain acts or having certain thoughts because of an assumed correlation between doing so and threatening calamities. Magical thinking may lead people to believe that their thoughts by themselves can bring about effects in the world or that thinking something corresponds with doing it.[1]*It is a type of*causal reasoningor*causal fallacy*that looks for meaningful relationships of*grouped phenomena(coincidence) between acts and events. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

Quote:
It does not colour/affect my opinions on food really though - that is a different category. You may have a bias against organic food though?
Sure it does. You continue to believe that certain pans are dangerous despite plenty of proof to the contrary. In the same way, you ignore the thousands of studies that show GM products are safe.

I have a bias against the unethical marketing of organic food.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #30
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Your choices of sources you've posted here make your research methods pretty clear.
You know nothing of my sources for GM and so speak out of turn. Everyone has a bias, including yourself i.e. to be pro or anti GM. Facts can be gleaned to support both camps. It's a question of who you support.

Quote:
Magical thinking is a logical fallacy.
Unfortunately this is a woefully misleading and inadequate term that tries to deride everything that is outside science, i.e. not amenable to being proved in a lab. You seem to imply I am deluded when I am a realist, i.e. I am very wary of being duped (don't foster beliefs as such) but I do acknowledge those that can be led that way. I could just as easily descibe your view as blinkered thinking....

Quote:
You continue to believe that certain pans are dangerous despite plenty of proof to the contrary. In the same way, you ignore the thousands of studies that show GM products are safe.

I have a bias against the unethical marketing of organic food.
So now you wrongly misquote me? I have said that the pans in question emit fumes. This is a fact. Where have I said that GM products are not safe? Again another illogical assumption. There is much that can be said about the GM issue but this is not the place.

Re. organic food, here in UK, it has to be labelled. Perhaps you have a different system in US?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With apologies to Dylan for these interactions going off topic.

Tags
health