"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Cook

Noobie chef lost in a sea of choices... please help!

Hey guys. Im 16 years old and ive been exploring cooking for about a year now. I love it and its one of my favorite hobbies. IVe been using a knife that my mom got at the store a while ago. I know the difference between knives and that the three essentials are the Chef's, Paring, and Serrated knife. The problem, however, is that i dont know which ones to buy! There seems to be infinate choices and im completely lost. Could someone please help?? For instance, should i get a Chef's or Santoku knife? What length chef's knife should i get? Should i get an offset or normal serrated knife? Are there any specific brands that are good? (ive heard that Shun and Wusthof were good). Please respond by replying on the forums or sending me an instant message on my AIM accnt (Slowpenguin20). Thank you!!

Old 07-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site Drummercook!

Buying a knife is sort of like buying shoes. You could spend a ton of $$$ on a great knife or shoe, but if it doesn't fit you then it is worthless. Go to a good kitchen store and test drive a few knives. Hold them in your hand and see what feels comfortable. Some will feel good and others will not.

As for Chefs vs. Santoku that is really personal preference. A chefs knife has more of a curve than a santoku which makes the chefs better at rocking back and forth to chop stuff. A santoku is more designed to slice as opposed to chop. For me if I had to pick between the two I would get a chefs, but that is me.

For your serrated knife offset is nice if you will be using it to cut fresh bread, but for most other things I think I would want a regular one. I feel I would have more control that way, but again that is just me and what you are comfortable with might be different.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
Cook

thanks

Thanks GB, that helps a lot :) I think ill head out to a store to try out some knives tomorrow. Thanks again
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

You're welcome and have fun!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Good knives can be a lifetime investment, so don't cheap out. OTOH, don't spend a lot of money on trendy gimmicks -- stay with the tried-and-true. I can vouch for the quality of the Wusthof classic knives. I'm using the ones we bought when we got married in 1968, and they still hold a fine edge, despite daily use. They don't have wood handles, which is one reason they're like new.

I like my chef's knives, but I can't comment on the santuko shape. I have both a 6" and an 8" Wusthof chef's knife, and I probably use the 6" more often. It's easier to maneuver with most tasks, but I prefer the 8" if I'm chopping a lot of veggies. The 8" is a little more awkward to use, but the 6" seems too small for some tasks. If I had to choose just one, I'd opt for the larger knife.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

My chefs knife is a 10" and my santoku is a 7". I like the large size of the chefs, but it can be a little too big at times. The 7" is great for those times that I am just cutting up some small things and the 10" would be overkill. Like FryBoy though, I would pick the larger over the smaller if I could just pick one.

I am planning (someday) to get an 8" ceramic chefs knife, but that is low on my priority list right now.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
Cook

hm...

Thanks for all your help guys, this is really great

Ive decided that i will, in fact, go with the chef's knife, not the santoku. So now i need to decide size and brand. Lets assume money isnt an object, would a Wusthof grand prix/classic be best? and about size... should i go for a big one first, and then a small one? or should i go for one thats in-between, like a 7 inch? Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Get the 8" Wusthof Classic (not the Grand Prix) chef's knife. It's $75 at www.bestknives.com.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Cook

sorry, lol

sorry to ask so many questions, but why classic over grand prix? (just wondering). And if i ask to try this out at the store, will i be able to? Thanks!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
If price were no object, and all things being equal, I would get the Friedrick Dick 10-inch x 1-3/4-inch chef's knife.

It's well made, well balanced, comfortalbe, holds its edge extremely well, and it is so much fun to see the look on people's faces when you tell them you have one!