"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Thumbs up Review: AccuSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

After using two different brands of manual knife sharpeners (lansky and spyderco), I was beggining to feel like whetstones were the best option. Fortunately, Cook's Illustrated had a wonderful review of manual knife sharpeners, and surprisingly enough the #1 rated was less than $10 USD. Putting my trust in CI, I ordered four off eBay (1 for me, 3 for gifts). Here is what I found after using the AccuSharp for one day:
  • Sharpener is VERY easy to use.
  • Tungsten Carbide is extremely hard and sharp, and removes metal quickly.
  • A surprisingly sharp edge can be produced with minimal effort.
  • Pocket knife or kitchen knife, junk steel or super-hard japanese steel -- works great on anything.
To give an example, I have a block set of the cheapo chinese Henckels; the steak knives being the dullest of the lot. Let me tell you, these knives had trouble cutting butter, let alone steak! In any case, 20 quick passes with the AccuSharp and these steak knives were slicing paper like it was nothing. 60 seconds of work on my pocket knife and it was shaving hair.

Needless to say, I give this tool an A+.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Reading your compliments for AccuSharp knife sharpener decided to buy the same. I''ll try and post my opinion about it. Thank you any way.:)

Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

eatsOats: Is the device adjustable so you can put different angle edges on different items or does the device put the same edge on everything?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Andy: it is not adjustable. That was something that made me leary about using it on my best knives. In any case, I tried it on my global santoku and in no time it was sharper than the factory edge!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

The non-adjustability of the edge would be an issue for me. According to their website:

AccuSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener (001) Finally, a Knife Sharpener anyone can use! No more messy oils or stones. In about 10 seconds, sharpen knives, (even serrated knives), cleavers, axes, machetes, and many other cutting tools...

I don't think I want the same edge on my good kitchen knives as someone else wants on their axe or machete. That's the downside of all in one sharpeners. Also, you have to be careful to not take too much metal off the knife when sharpening it with such a hard abrasive. Many sharpeners will give you razor sharp edges but take too much off the blade in the process. Be careful.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I guess it depends on what you want to sharpen with it. I hope its clear from my review that it works very well on kitchen knives. Also, it's less than ten bucks.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't think I want the same edge on my good kitchen knives as someone else wants on their axe or machete.
But, inversely, wouldn't you want the same fine edge on a machete that you have on your kitchen knives?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
But, inversely, wouldn't you want the same fine edge on a machete that you have on your kitchen knives?
No, probably not. You would need a hardier edge on a machete I would think otherwise you would risk damaging the blade.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #9
Senior Cook

OK i had to add my $.02 to this. After i read this thread i decided to order one on ebay. I current have this knife sharpener:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...p_1940_3715740

Which works very very well. Eventhough it works well its a pain to sharpen little knives with it. I can do it but its kind of a hastle.

Anyways i got the accusharp unit tonight and OMG...this thing works great. Just a few swipes and the knife was razar sharp. I did notice that it won't remove those dings that you get in the knife blade but boy otherwise this thing is perfect. In a matter of seconds i turned from a very dull steak knife to razor sharp. So its fair to say i love this thing. I will still use the lansky system for my chef knives but for paring/steak/serated knives this is as good as it gets.

Ncage
Old 03-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
That is all I keep in the kitchen. Very user friendly, and does a great job.