"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Sharpening Knives

My school knives are getting blunt. What is the best way/gadget to sharpen them?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Head Chef

The best way is using the hone.

Am surprised your school did not teach you how to do that.

Google about sharpening.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

The hone will not sharpen a dull knife but will help keep a sharpo knife sharp longer.

Many people use sharpening systems that assist you in maintaining the proper angle on the edge for max. performance.

Google lansky sharpening systems for some options.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks

aunt dot. It's a high school where I teach cooking and the knives are those the kids use.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Maybe knife sharpening / maintenance and cutting techniques should be part of the syllabus?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Head Chef

Get one of these...

Amazon.com: Chef's Choice Professional Knife Sharpening Station, Platinum: Kitchen & Dining

OK, not as good as careful honing on a good stone, but they work and will give you a very sharp edge..
Old 12-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I use Japanese Whetstones for my kitchen knives and woodcarving tools. The stone and proper technique will give you a better, longer lasting edge than with any gadget. They also remove a minimal amount of steel. Foodnetwork has a nice video demonstration.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I use Japanese Whetstones for my kitchen knives and woodcarving tools. The stone and proper technique will give you a better, longer lasting edge than with any gadget. They also remove a minimal amount of steel. Foodnetwork has a nice video demonstration.
Yes, that is the best but for class work, many knives. I would go with a machine...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I feel that sharp knives are an integral part of fine cooking. To get knives truly sharp is an art, and many people never "get" it. What these students need to learn at the early learning stage is that they should not use a dull knife because it is a safety issue. At the same time, with a sharp knife, they must learn to respect the edge and to use proper cutting technique, and they will after the first loss of blood. It's part of the learning process. A device like the Chef's Choice is fast and fairly accurate. They sharpen at about 25 degrees per side which is not sharp in my book but will do the job for the students and will cut well enough. They also tend to scratch the blades but I doubt if that means anything in your situation. This should be good enough. Fact is, it probably has to be good enough because my guess is that the type of steel used in those knives can't take and hold too sharp an edge anyway. Go with the Chef's Choice and be done with it. If any of the students want to learn how to really sharpen they have the rest of their lives to do it.

Buzz
Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
Cook

Jeekinz... Do you use multiple Whetstones? ie. Coarse, Fine and Ultra fine or do you tend to just stick with one most of the time (fine / ultra fine probably?)