"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
They have several different models - mine was about $130 some 10 years ago. It's the Edge Select 120, 3 stage, but the first stage is rarely used. I used stage one on a old, beat up knife I got from my mother's house after she passed and it worked great. My Wusthof and Chicago Cutlery knives only see stage 2 and 3 so far.
I have the same one. Older than yours I think. I love mine and only use it a couple times a year.
The first stage is very rough and I have used it for my machete.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i remember those knife sharpeners on the back of electric can openers.

when i was a kid, my mom bought a fancy one. while she was out one day, i got the bright idea that if i removed the cover i could use it to sharpen my skates with it.

well, they're only meant for short bursts of grinding, not to run for 5 minutes.

when it stopped smoking, i put the cover back on and looked as innocent as i could when my mom used it later that day.

fortunately, she was able to return it, although she has never used an electric can opener again.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Master Chef

Did you get sharp skate blades? Do you use those blades at the dinner table, say beside your plate, as steak knives?

What a picture that is in my head, B.T., and B.T. junior sawing on steak with ice skates in hand. Too funny.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I gave my tri-slot Chef's Choice to my son Spike. I now use the manual sharper that is hand held and cost me only $19. It was the one recommended by ATK. Also by my girlfriend who already had it for years and was quite happy with it. Serves me well.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Did you get sharp skate blades? Do you use those blades at the dinner table, say beside your plate, as steak knives?

What a picture that is in my head, B.T., and B.T. junior sawing on steak with ice skates in hand. Too funny.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
if my mom had found out, i would have been eating the skate leather, not steak.

it happened not long after they threw out a tv because of me. i snuck into my parent's bedroom and stole some matches, then for some bizarre reason decided to play with said matches behind the tv stand. my dad came home, smelled something burning that he traced to the tv, and being a retired firefighter decided to throw it out rather than risk a fire.

it was an old black and white tv, and my parents ended up buying a colour unit. since it ended up well, i never said a word.

getting back to knife sharpeners, i have a small 2" x 4" whetstone from my scouting days. does anyone think it could be used for kitchen knives, or is it too small?

i was thinking of buying one of those knife sharpeners that have little rods that stick up to form a "v" . i forget what it's called.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Great story, BT. While the stone you have will work, it will be difficult to sharpen a longer blade.

I've use the "V-stick" sharpener with good results. Now I'm using the Lansky System. It's a significant improvement.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I have the stone from a knife sharpener's wheel. It is round with a hole straight through. It is a really smooth stone and I use it occasionally. I found it in an old abandoned house when I lived in Tacoma. There were also ice tongs for delivering ice. I left them behind.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #18
Master Chef

I prefer the harder edge. As the mater of fact I think it is harder to maintain the softer edge, as it is gums up while sharpening.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #19
Head Chef

I agree with Charlie. A harder edge (all else being equal) will last longer. You really should use smooth steel for a hard knife (eg RC 60+) and a ceramic is ideal.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I agree with Charlie. A harder edge (all else being equal) will last longer. You really should use smooth steel for a hard knife (eg RC 60+) and a ceramic is ideal.
From what I have heard from other and read in reviews, ceramic is very sharp. I will give it that. But I keep hearing that once they go dull, they are very difficult to sharpen and they break easily.

Only from what I have heard. Not from experience.