"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to use an electric smoker?

Hello to all:
I am a new owner of an electic smoker. I am sure there are alot of things you can do with it besides making jerky. What are some good tips and advice to using these?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSnooky View Post
Hello to all:
I am a new owner of an electic smoker. I am sure there are alot of things you can do with it besides making jerky. What are some good tips and advice to using these?
You can smoke mac & cheese, fish, turkey, Anything food group really.

What model did you get? I got the master built 3o in smoker from Amazon.com, I can't wait the first thing I'm going to smoke is Brisket & mac & cheese & corn. Have a spring bbq.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I got the same one you did. But how do you know to use water in the pan or not?How long do you keep certian foods in and at what temp?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Head Chef

Didn't you get an instruction manual? You can go to their website for recipes.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Senior Cook

My husband is a smoking king in our house! We love smoked mahi mahi, smoked wahoo, smoked tuna, smoked chicken wings (brined & spicy, smoked & then grilled), smoked pork shoulder, smoked Italian spicy sausage, smoked whole chickens & smoked eggs. I love to make smoked fish dips, smoked egg salad, smoked wahoo/tuna salad, smoked chicken salad, chicken/pork tacos, smoked chicken white bean soup....so many yummy things to smoke! I want to try smoked zucchini & squash. I had some at a restaurant in Charleston, SC, it was awesome! Have fun!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
I got the same one you did. But how do you know to use water in the pan or not?How long do you keep certian foods in and at what temp?
Hi JLS,
Just search the web for smoking recipes, there's a ton of them out there. The electric part of your smoker is just the heat source, so you can use any smoking recipe as long as you keep the temperatures where they need to be. Pay close attention to your temps and try not to oversmoke your food as it may taste bitter or too strong. (I learned the hard way)..... Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Cool, I should get mine in about 2-3 day's from QVC, I can't wait to get it, I've been downloading and printing out smoked recipes from masterbuilt site that we're going to try!

I'm trying pork butt somed with hickory first w/mac & cheese, corn.

This will be towards the spring when we smoke.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

In my Brinkmann I use a clay saucer instead of water as a heatsink. Less mess to deal with.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
In my Brinkmann I use a clay saucer instead of water as a heatsink. Less mess to deal with.
And clay saucers take the heat well.

By the way my smoker should be here in a few day's, I'll try to get some photo's of it before I put the smoker in my apartment for storage.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Put about 3 oak chunks (chunks, not chips) around the burners of your smoker, put some applejuice in your water pan, place a pork butt on the grill that has been covered with olive oil, salt, and pepper, fat cap up or just remove the fat cap, as you'll get more "bark" that way. Keep the smoker at around 225 - 250. Cook until internal temperatures reaches at least 195...if it can get to 200 that's great! The highest I have ever been able to get an internal temp was 205...it was like butter and wonderful!

Let it rest for about 30 minutes, i.e., do not cut it in anyway, shape, or form. You want those juice that are all boiling on the outside of the meat to redistribute back into the meat.

Make a sauce out of white vinegar, a bit of brown sugar, ketchup, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Once cooled, shred, put shredded meat on bun, drizzle with sauce, stand at the end of the driveway...I'll be right over to pick it up!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote