My Weber is Beyond All Hope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your grill knew when it was time to go. :neutral: Right at the end of the season. Shop for the best your wallet can afford and don't look back. If you grill a lot you won't regret it. Dealers are lowering prices (though sometimes not by much) to ridthemselves of this year's inventory. Shop around if you have the time. My choice would be stainless. Happy hunting.

And I know we talked about this before, but I'll mention it again, what steered me away from the Webers, that I was looking at, is that their burners ran left to right rather than front to rear. I can leave off my two middle burners, light the two outer ones, and have a fairly large surface for indirect grilling. The Webers I saw didn't look like they would work as well for indirect.

I don't know how true this is, but I just read something about this a couple of days ago, I don't remember where, but the reason for running them left to right is for more effective convection of heat. I can see the logic behind that given the shape of most gas grills. But I can also definitely see the awkwardness of using the grill for indirect grilling.

I think someone had said the Weber burners now are front to back rather than side to side.

Either way you're in the drivers seat. It's definately a buyers market for those types of things now. I'm going to check out some patio furniture.

I think someone had said the Weber burners now are front to back rather than side to side.

Yes, just something you might want to look for, in case they aren't all made that way now.
Or, maybe it is better to have them run the length of the grill like roadfix said.
So in other words, just something else to made deciding which grill harder :LOL:

I couldn't imagine trying to cook with horizontal burners. Especially with chicken thighs, I'm constantly moving them around to cooler areas or trying to avoid flare-ups.

I would have to try out someone elses grill before I would by one like that.

I bought a new gas grill yesterday. It's being assembled and we are going to get it later. It's a Ducane.

It's a basic gas grill with no frills. SS grate and 36K BTUs from three burners. The next model up was $100 more and you got a side burner and a rotisserie. I've never really missed having either one so I passed.

I chose it over a comparable Weber because of the price, SS grates and the burner positioning. The Weber burners are left to right while the Ducane's are front to back.

I'm hoping I can regulate the temperature low enough with this new grill to do some real low and slow BBQ/smoking.

Thank you all for the good advice.

There ya go! I've got the 4 burner Afinity, 4100. Good choice.
Like you make have remembred reading me say though, it is HOT. The burners will easily turn the flavor deflectors cherry red and on low can still be a bit too high for smoking, but I make do.

You'll love it once you get used to it!

Looks like a winner!

I kind of like having the option of a side burner for fish, bbq sauce or whatever. But you can still get good results just using the pan right on the grill.

Good luck with it.

Good choice, Andy! Congratulations!

I have customers who come from far away to buy Ducanes at my store. Ducane fans are a smaller group than Weber fans, but they are FIERCELY loyal to the brand. Kind of like Chevy-Ford people.

Enjoy it!

Lee

Thanks, guys.

Getting it home was an adventure. It wouldn't fit into Suzanne's SUV. I had to call my daughter, who has a bigger SUV, to come and get it for us.

It's sitting on the deck right now waiting for me to fire it up for the first time.

I'm always too excited when I get a new grill that I wind up cooking the stupidest thing just so I can use it. Like hotdogs. LOL

Weber owns Ducane, they purchased them about 3 years ago when Ducane went belly up. There was a big stink because they wouldn't honor Ducane's lifetime warranty. It wasn't really Weber's fault though, Ducane, at that time didn't use standardized parts, and their parts inventory couldn't have supported all the grills that had been sold. It was one of the reasons Ducane filed bankruptcy, that and some very poor management decisions.

You bought a great grill. Personally I would miss the side burner and rotisserie, there is nothing like a rotisseried Thanksgiving Turkey and I do a braised spinach with steaks and I cook it on the side burner while the steaks are cooking, and the side burner is great to light a chimney of charcoal for the other Weber.

In making the decision about the rotisserie and side burner. I asked myself how many times I'd wished I had one. The answer was "none". So I passed. I can see how they are useful.

My last grill had a sideburner. I used it once. It got in the way more than anything because being right handed, I liked to have full availability of the right side shelf. My grill sits close enough to my kitchen and I know if it didn't, I may appreciate a sideburner more. Or dig out one of the numerous propane or Coleman fuel burners I have.

Back
Top Bottom