"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 02-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Microwave jam making

Has anyone got a good recipe for making jam ( strawberry) and or marmalade in the microwave?
I've got a brilliant one for lemon curd if anyone wants it.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I don't think you can successfully make Marmalade in a Microwave. I've made it for years following an old recipe and method my mum gave me that's on my website. It involves using a pressure cooker. Link to learn how to make marmalade

Munching for you!
dgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Master Chef

You might try some of these sites for Microwave Marmalade or Microwave Jam recipes.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I stand corrected

Blimey - I had a look at the results in Google. I particularly liked the look of this recipe as it makes a small amount so you can try the method out.

Perhaps thats why I thought it unfeasible to use a Microwave - I usually make 8lbs at a time which is a huge panful.

A top tip is buy a years supply of seville oranges when available (Jan/Feb in UK) and freeze them so you can make fresh batches as the year progresses.

Munching for you!
dgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #5
Head Chef

I never tried freezing oranges, might be a good tip, thank you!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm like you dgregory - the microwave recipes are for such small volumes it would take me longer to put up a year's worth of marmalade, jams and butters than just using my pot and a thermometer on the stove-top. I also can not see where a microwave oven would give me the "cooking control" that I get on the stove.

But, just because I've never tried using a microwave oven for jammin' doesn't mean it might not be a viable option for someone who only wants to make a small batch.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I'm in the "it's so easy in a pot, why worry about burning it in the microwave" camp.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
Sous Chef

With only the 2 of us, small quantities are all we need. We get given strawberries in season from a neighbours allotment, more than we can eat so I made some into jam.

The one we like best is the lemon curd. It's lovely, not too sweet and quite moreish!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

My Dad makes a spectacular marmalade in the microwave. He prefers to make it in small batches - he finds preparing the oranges a bit of a chore nowadays so is quite happy to do it in smallish amounts at a time. Best marmalade I've ever had. I'll e-mail him for the recipe and post it here when I get it.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
My Dad makes a spectacular marmalade in the microwave. He prefers to make it in small batches - he finds preparing the oranges a bit of a chore nowadays so is quite happy to do it in smallish amounts at a time. Best marmalade I've ever had. I'll e-mail him for the recipe and post it here when I get it.
That would be lovely Snoop Puss. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks