Safety with Oil Infusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
I have come to learn that when infusing oil, we are supposed to leave it in the fridge, not room temperature, in order to prevent botulism. For ex. get olive oil, red pepper and herbs; put it in a mason jar and fill with oil; put in fridge and let sit for a few weeks.

But here is my dilema...Grocery stores have it setting out on the shelves, so at what point is it ok to leave out at room temperature if we make it at home?

Also, could you provide a factual resource available for my reference?

Thanks alot!!!

The grocery store oils are likely to have been heated first, to a certain temperature to kill bacteria, and then vacuum-sealed to allow for long shelf-life without refrigeration.

Once you've added herbes to any oil, you must keep it refrigerated and use it or discard it within 10-14 days. Beyond that, it's dangerous to use. In the home, you cannot do anything to the infused oil to make it safe beyond that time.

Here some suggestion to avoid the risk of Botulism :

all the food that you want infusing on oil they have to be first quality, without any dent, mould or rotten parts;
use always fresh product and not somethings that you have keep on the frigde more than 12 hours. Using always a hight quality of extra virgin olive oil
wash very well your hands( including under your nails) before starting to work on preserving food on oil
wash under clean water all foods, be sure the there isn't any dirty leftovers.
dry very well the food that you are processing with clean paper towel. don't live the food expose to dust or insects.
clean very well the surface where are you working before and after the process;
use glass jars with airtight cover with a capacity ( between 10 to 20 fl ounces). the jars must be boiled in water for at least 15minutes and dry it wery well with a clean cloth;
cook the food in a pressure cooker for 3 minutes, before processing them.( to kill the spores oyu need to reach the temperature of 120°C ( 250°Fahrenheit);
add a tablespoon of good quality of white wine vinegar for each 10 fl ounces
add a tea spoon of fine table salt for each 10 fl ounces.
keep on the fridge at 10°C (50°Fahrenheit) it well be an extra safe storage but isn't necessary
when you decides to eat yuor vegatable infused in oil be carefully : throw away all the jar that present small air bubbles in the oil or if the cover is swollen.
Grocery stores have it setting out on the shelves because all industrial products contains nitrates and nitrites to preventing botulism

I hope this can help you to make delicious and safe delicatessen
sorry for my poor English

The "stuff" in the store is commercially "canned". One good example is "minced Garlic in olive oil" ... virtually tasteless due to the canning process ... and a short shelf life once opened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom