Has any one experienced.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
their hot water smelling like fuel? After the landlord had some plumbing work done on Monday my hot water stinks. I am afraid to use it. When I called him he asked me what I wanted him to do about it, went on to explain how much work was done and offered to give me the name and number of the plumber. He did not even come over to check my water himself. :angry:

Are you the only tenant or are there other tenants sharing the same hot water source?

Their are two other people in the building. The guy up stairs says he can't smell anything. I haven't (and probably wont) hear from the one next door.

I just talked to a family member that said that it could be pipe fitting gunk that got on the inside. He advised me to run the water for awhile. I already did that this afternoon. I will try to run it some more.

Patty, I have a well, water softener and electric water heater. If the water softener is off, the water with it's rust/calcium etc, goes into the water heater and the element inside collects and cooks the water residues and it smells bad.
Also, if water sits in the water heater for many days, it will get an off smell.
Do you smell it in cold water alone, or in hot water alone? Both?
Running fresh water through the system (and until the water heater has all new water in it) should make it smell better.
Once a year we also drain the water heater completely (turn off the power to it--or you'll burn out the elements) and flush it with clean water and then fill it up again (THEN turn on the power again).
Let us know......:)

Back
Top Bottom