Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Soups (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Dilled Carrot Soup (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/dilled-carrot-soup-83717.html)

CWS4322 01-04-2013 12:18 PM

Dilled Carrot Soup

This is a soup I've made for years. I am not sure where I got the recipe, but it is very tasty and one that is low in calories--60 cal/3/4 c is what I have written on the recipe card.

Dilled Carrot Soup

2 c chicken broth (I use homemade)
2 c sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
1/4 c chopped fresh It. parsley
2 T chopped shallots or green onions
2 garlic cloves
2 T chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 c skim milk

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except the dill and the milk. (I usually saute the shallots and garlic in about 2 T of the chicken broth first)
2. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and cover.
3. Simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are tender.
4. Blend in small batches using an immersion blender or food processor.
5. Return to pan, add milk and dill. Heat 1-2 minutes.

Serve hot with some chopped dill. You can add popcorn or a dollop of cottage cheese that you've pureed to make "mock sour cream."

Servings: 3

I have made this where I have not used dill but have added grated fresh ginger and a dash of nutmeg. When I've done that, I've used 1/2 buttermilk, 1/2 regular (whole) milk. The next time I make this, I'm going to roast the carrots, shallots, and garlic, puree them, and then add them to the broth.

Whiskadoodle 01-04-2013 01:28 PM

I bought some fresh dill feathers for a NY appie. There is so much in the package, and it seemed like I used a lot too. Dill is not usually something I buy, nor even grow in the garden. I like it if I have it, but don't go out of my way to look for it.

So what to do with all this dill right now.== I made an omelet w/ snipped dill and gouda and red onion.

Carrots yes. Ta-da. Some roasted carrots, butter, garlic and tossed with snipped dill. Probably won't do soup, this sounds to me just as tasty.

I can snip in an egg salad sandwich for lunch too. Thanks for the inspirations CWS.

PS. the soup does look tasty too. i just was focus on the dill part.

jkath 01-04-2013 01:58 PM

The soup does look good indeed!

Whiskadoodle: Here's my first thought for dill (and carrots actually!) that I've been making for years:

Creamy Dilled Carrots

4 c. thinly sliced
carrots
3/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. butter (no margarine!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. light cream
2 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced

In a saucepan, combine carrots, water, butter, salt, sugar & pepper. Cover & simmer until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain liquid into a small saucepan; set the carrots aside & keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour & cream until smooth; slowly add to liquid, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over the carrots; stir in dill. Cover & let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8

Snip 13 01-04-2013 02:03 PM

This looks good CW. Thank you :)

CWS4322 01-04-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle (Post 1225495)
I bought some fresh dill feathers for a NY appie. There is so much in the package, and it seemed like I used a lot too. Dill is not usually something I buy, nor even grow in the garden. I like it if I have it, but don't go out of my way to look for it.

So what to do with all this dill right now.== I made an omelet w/ snipped dill and gouda and red onion.

Carrots yes. Ta-da. Some roasted carrots, butter, garlic and tossed with snipped dill. Probably won't do soup, this sounds to me just as tasty.

I can snip in an egg salad sandwich for lunch too. Thanks for the inspirations CWS.

PS. the soup does look tasty too. i just was focus on the dill part.

Living in MN and surrounded by Scandahoovians, I'm surprised you don't use dill. My most favorite homemade chicken soup is loaded with chopped fresh dill. I think one could do this recipe using squash, beets, or sweet potatoes.

CWS4322 01-04-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snip 13 (Post 1225509)
This looks good CW. Thank you :)

But Snip--aren't carrots on your list of foods you don't really like? I'd try this with sweet potatoes or winter squash...that is, if I didn't like carrots:lol:.

Snip 13 01-04-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1225514)
But Snip--aren't carrots on your list of foods you don't really like? I'd try this with sweet potatoes or winter squash...that is, if I didn't like carrots:lol:.

Yip! but I'm a big girl, I must eat my veggies :angel:
I was thinking of using half carrots and half beets.

CWS4322 01-04-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snip 13 (Post 1225517)
Yip! but I'm a big girl, I must eat my veggies :angel:
I was thinking of using half carrots and half beets.

Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?

PrincessFiona60 01-05-2013 02:05 AM

This sounds wonderful! Thanks CWS!

Snip 13 01-05-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1225571)
Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?

I'll try one batch with squash and carrots and one with beets and carrots :smile:

I think with the dill in there I might even eat it with only carrots!
I don't believe in cutting foods out of my diet just because I'm not crazy about them.
I am very passionate about food and there is no such thing as a bad ingredient in my eyes. Anything can taste good if made right. I like the flavours in your soup so I will try it for sure!