Do you fry with EVOO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have often read that one shouldn't fry with extra virgin olive oil. People tell me it is a waste of good EVOO, that it should be saved for vinaigrettes, drizzling as a finish, etc.

When I first started using EVOO, many years ago, I saved it for "special" uses. I discovered that even a very small bottle of EVOO would get rancid before it was half empty. I tried refrigerating, but that didn't really help. So, I started using it for most frying as well. Even a 1 litre bottle of EVOO doesn't go off at my house any more.

What about you? Do you fry with EVOO?

Yes. I buy inexpensive EVOO and use it for almost everything depending on what I'm cooking. I have a better EVOO for non-cooking uses such as dressings and drizzles.

Same as Andy. I buy large bottles of inexpensive EVOO at Whole Foods (nicely priced at around $5.99/liter) and use that for sauteing. I also have a couple of more expensive salad-quality oils I use for dressings or finishing.

I use EVOO for dressing etc and Light Olive oil for cooking. I find the the taste is too strong for frying. I light oil is milder and doesn't take over the flavour of the food.

This is the oil I use for cooking

img_7225.jpg

I also keep corn oil and peanut oil on hand. I use the peanut oil for stir-frys and the corn oil because it's cheap and has a high smoke point for frying crab cakes etc.

I use EVOO for sauteing just about everything. I like the flavor. There are some foods I grab the canola for, like pan fried pork chops. Those I cook at a higher temp and the olive oil doesn't really add anything to them anyway. I just keep one kind on hand, Pompeian EVOO. I like it cold/drizzled, too. It's one of the cheaper ones where I shop.

I admit that I use pretty pricey and tasty extra virgin oilive oil for almost everything. I basically never deep fry and use peanut oil for asian preparations and keep a small bottle of corn or other neutral oil in the fridge.

I use Fairway's oil. Various origins. By the liter. Never goes bad.

image640x480.jpg

Yes. I buy inexpensive EVOO and use it for almost everything depending on what I'm cooking. I have a better EVOO for non-cooking uses such as dressings and drizzles.
me too but I do have some grapeseed oil when I need it.
kades

me too but I do have some grapeseed oil when I need it.
kades

me three. i use cheap evoo for lower temp sauteeing if the dish can handle the olive oil taste, and grapeseed oil for higher temp frying and/or when you don't want that taste. and like jenny said, peanut oil for asian frying.

Never! That is not what extra olive virgin oil is for. Heating up EVOO breaks it down and makes it taste and smell bad. I deep fry in canola oil, I wok in peanut oil, and I sauté in extra light tasting olive oil.

BTW, sesame oil is not for cooking, either.

Never! That is not what extra olive virgin oil is for. Heating up EVOO breaks it down and makes it taste and smell bad. I deep fry in canola oil, I wok in peanut oil, and I sauté in extra light tasting olive oil.

I have, on numerous occasions, seen Mario Batali pan fry, sauté and deep fry with extra virgin olive oil. I trust him as an authority on the subject.

Mine never tastes or smells bad. If that were true I wouldn't use it that way.

My partner is Korean-American and we cook with sesame oil all the time, which I forgot to mention in my first post.

Go figure.

If I need to just brown something before baking or roasting, drizzle a little EVOO. Fried foods and stir fried foods I use peanut oil. Sometimes a dollop of butter too. And i cook eggs in butter. I think of sesame oil as more a finishing oil and it gets a splash or more towards the end of a stir fry or incorporate in a sauce.

Same here. Learn that when I was in Italy. They use it for frying all the time and they do not use a little bit either. ;)

I use EVOO for just about everything too, sometimes with butter. I don't deep fry. I also use canola oil.

Like most I saute in evoo. If I need to sear or brown meat I use canola or grapeseed, same for stirfry.

I've never had the evoo taste or smell bad when sauteing.

Grapeseed for frying, EVOO for sauteing, Expensive EVOO for cold/drizzle. Butter or Bacon grease for eggs, sesame oil as a finish or marinade.

Back
Top Bottom