The Language thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
Both CG and GG, Cooking Goddess and Got Garlic, suggested I start a thread on language.

Well here it is.

I tend to be quite precise on language, and as such adore puns, linguistic plays etc....

One does admit, I can be pedantic about it.

Madam I am adam,

Lets talk.

TBS

Love language, spelling, punctuation, dumb jokes and puns.

Language away!

What's this? I thought you were going to start something and now you're leaving us hanging?!? ;)

Ok let me phrase this quite careful, RPCookin and Dragon Law. have said a couple things about the use of language. So lets talk a bit. Language is both a shield and a weapon. You can dismiss people who don't 'talk like you' and also load language to hurt people you don't like.

I see RPCooking's concern. And I see why it is one. I am not bragging, but I have degrees in English, one thing I am proud of is my MFA. I read and write for a living. One of the things I'm proudest of is teaching students in college.

And I teach at community college. So, often see students, many of whom become friends and sometimes colleagues. Start off with a basic high school education. I'd love to see you read more, read better, and I have some tools. I am never going to criticize you for either your education or vocabulary.

I am quite passionate, though about education in literature. Y'all pushed that button. I think as it has nothing to do with cooking, feel free to take it to a private message? This doesn't mean I am opposed to the discussion, and the second time I've said it this week, glad I am making some friends here, but I'm sure the mods want to keep it about cooking.

Was there something more you wanted to say about this?

I don't think you're bragging at all. That thread did have participants from the U.S., England and Canada, so I think there may have been a bit of international, um, intercommunication? ;) Same words with slightly different meanings and definitely different emotional baggage, i.e., peasant. I'm not sure how Mad Cook defines it, but I think there were peasants in Europe till well after WWII. We didn't and don't have that kind of construct in the U.S. I don't think Canada did/does, either.

Was there something more you wanted to say about this?

Nativlang is a great place on Youtube for just short language lesson.

I do love my language , I have heard so many people call it dead, but is just because they cant understand it and if we hadnt had the idea of giving dutch and British fleet wood, tar and taking over Europe you all would be speaking Swedish now.

Yes, we had settlement in USA but gave it up due to trying to take over Europe. Sorry, otherwise you would have all screamed Jävlar instead of the F word and you would have enjoyed more equal view on marriage.

And you alphabet would have 3 more letters, Å, Ä and Ö.

What's this? I thought you were going to start something and now you're leaving us hanging?!? ;)?

What, you wanted a language thread, and now you have it?

I kind of figured I was going a little off of cooking. I really want to be polite and a friend to all.

One of the things that makes me happy here is the depth but also the breadth of people I meet.

OK lets talk a bit about language, just because it is a good conversation and better than the alternative.

Now I will start a FIGHT! thread if I have to, I kind of like you all, and see no reason to do so.

TBS

Nativlang is a great place on Youtube for just short language lesson.

I do love my language , I have heard so many people call it dead, but is just because they cant understand it and if we hadnt had the idea of giving dutch and British fleet wood, tar and taking over Europe you all would be speaking Swedish now.

Yes, we had settlement in USA but gave it up due to trying to take over Europe. Sorry, otherwise you would have all screamed Jävlar instead of the F word and you would have enjoyed more equal view on marriage.

And you alphabet would have 3 more letters, Å, Ä and Ö.

Do you know of Birger Jarl? Our founding fathers in the United States looked to him. He was a Swede, if I remember? but broke up the Swede nobility in the thirteenth century.

Yes, the Brits were lucky, we should all be speaking Swedish. You should have gotten a navy sooner, and knocked out those Brits.

I make fun, but I have quite a bit of respect for Sweden. Du gamia du Fria, I have much respect for your country, and am happy to talk with you.

TBS

What, you wanted a language thread, and now you have it?

I kind of figured I was going a little off of cooking. I really want to be polite and a friend to all.

One of the things that makes me happy here is the depth but also the breadth of people I meet.

OK lets talk a bit about language, just because it is a good conversation and better than the alternative.

Now I will start a FIGHT! thread if I have to, I kind of like you all, and see no reason to do so.

TBS

Fight? What are you talking about? Didn't you see the winkie? ;)

Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but we *always* get off topic here. It's kind of a trademark :LOL:

By "start something," I meant start a conversation, working from the thread that gave rise to this one, on language. Instead you started a thread and said, "Here, talk about language!" See what I mean?

Last edited:
What I love about hearing language from Scandinavian countries is that to my ear, it sounds so sing song.

When I lived in Tacoma, WA, I used to type up papers for some of the students who attended the college just a couple of blocks from me. Since the college was supported by Norway and Sweden, most of the students were from there. I loved listening to the lilt of the spoken word. :angel:

What I love about hearing language from Scandinavian countries is that to my ear, it sounds so sing song.

When I lived in Tacoma, WA, I used to type up papers for some of the students who attended the college just a couple of blocks from me. Since the college was supported by Norway and Sweden, most of the students were from there. I loved listening to the lilt of the spoken word. :angel:

I'm of Swedish descent and grew up in Minneapolis and I'm ashamed to say that that singsong is like nails on a blackboard for me... And it irritated me to NO END that my grandparents called me "Yenny"

It's good to see that the college melds Norway and Sweden. When I was a small child the Swedes didn't let their kids play with Norwegians. I was constant.y asked how I spelled my last name ...

Fight? What are you talking about? Didn't you see the winkie? ;)

Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but we *always* get off topic here. It's kind of a trademark :LOL:

By "start something," I meant start a conversation, working from the thread that gave rise to this one, on language. Instead you started a thread and said, "Here, talk about language!" See what I mean?

It is not a cooking conversation. I am sensitive to the basic idea of the community.

Good idea to take it over here. And I hate emoticons.

Damn despise them.

TBS

I'm in trouble. I can't spell for a life of me. And I always mess up idioms and for sure am terrible with pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I'm a decent speller, though I'm more visual. Spelling bees, when they were verbal in elementary school, were harder for me than just editing text. I was killer on the written spelling tests.

I have an app called Duolingo. It's fun, and has some neat lessons. It also nags you when you haven't been there for awhile. Still trying to improve my Spanish.

Dawg, it doesn't nag you if you delete it. ;) Yup, personal experience.

Fox, our son loves words. Written, spoken, he has yet to meet a five-syllable word he doesn't like. Our daughter (his twin sister) loves to nag him about how he uses $2 words when a 5 cent one would do. I have to admit, though, that when he and I start to talk, I love trying to keep up with him by using fancy words, too.

You said
Language is both a shield and a weapon. You can dismiss people who don't 'talk like you' and also load language to hurt people you don't like.
I also think that people who had a vast collection of intricate words love to "show off" when speaking to people with a more moderate vocabulary. Not always, and not every person with a large mental dictionary is like that, but I see it happen often when sitting with "intellectuals". Although I can keep up in a word game such as that, I find it so much more entertaining to just sit back, preferably with a nice adult beverage, and watch The Show. :LOL:

And ya better make friends with those danged emoticons. :D Get the microwave down from the top of the fridge, take the old margarine tub out of it :huh:, open it up, and let those smileys play across your screen. :brows: That's right, I know where ya hid them. :cool:

Sweden did have strong navy, great weapons of war and was on the for front kicking every ones butt. But because we and Denmark holds record of most wars started between us in Europe, we didnt have time taking over the world, we were already doing that with Europe.

Why Norwegian and Swedish kids didnt play with each other, well simple, Sweden "took care" of Norway against it will and Norway was only fully freed in 1905. Many old people remember that and wouldnt let their kids mingle.

So that was a little history from Europe and a former super power, yes not only did we kick butts but also inventing things and killing Rene Decartes .

My dialect of Swedish is even more singsong then the standard one, my dear husband has had to learn how not insult people by using the wrong tonal. He is Scottish and had the luck that most Swedish sounds already existed in Scottish.

And yes I suck on the British J sound, but does a really good Scottish ch sound.

Oh and I am dyslexic.

img_1480825_0_37081c5075d6451c186b708f0776ca1e.gif

img_1480825_1_c34f240b36956d99be87835bc60561f5.gif

Sorry Trying to inject some humor.
img_1480825_2_7e96527c68e0c4a6c5a32636abc295c0.gif

img_1480825_3_b7a515e8ad243d526ec3d9bdf4c2d40e.gif

I'm of Swedish descent and grew up in Minneapolis and I'm ashamed to say that that singsong is like nails on a blackboard for me... And it irritated me to NO END that my grandparents called me "Yenny"

It's good to see that the college melds Norway and Sweden. When I was a small child the Swedes didn't let their kids play with Norwegians. I was constant.y asked how I spelled my last name ...

Every years the two countries alternate which king is going to give the Commencement address. This college has some of what are supposed to be the brightest brains on the planet. One of my customers was the President's son of Goodyear Tire in South Africa being trained to take over the company. He was called back to SA by his father. Daddy was very unhappy with the reports he was getting about his son. :angel:

Are you familiar with the idea of mansplaining? Because you're coming across as a forum-splainer.

Hysterical... this certainly splains what language is about!

Not sure I had ever heard the term GG but I thank you!

Actually I often ask someone to cool down the explanation of a topic they are extremely converse in but then go into so much detail as to make me forget my original question.

Now I will know to simply ask them to mainsplain me!
img_1480847_0_14acd2930c0cdc665e97396a9e37f83a.gif

I am extremely partial to puns...never met one that didn't make me groan.

Pun Away, Pun Away!

Back
Top Bottom