20 minutes on average are spent preparing dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow you must be married to a heck of a fella. :) I only started cooking due to the wife developing a horrible spinal problem 2 years ago. Or else, I'd be happy to just set the table and eat. Though I am glad to have picked up some at least basic culinary skills in the last year or so.
Good for you, jd. I was put into the same place when my late wife was unable to cook due to her brain injury.

We, in this forum, probably spend a little longer than average preparing meals. I suspect though, that most of us could put together a very nice stir fry or pasta dish or any number of other meals in about 20 minutes or maybe less. Judging from some of the YouTube posts I've seen, I can put a meal on the table quicker than they can chop an onion.

Also, there is time spent prepping or cooking and then there's time that doesn't really count because I'm doing other stuff. Like soaking or cooking beans, making stock, etc. The 20 to 30 minutes to make grits from whole ground corn or oatmeal from steel cut oats isn't really time I spent cooking. It's time I spent in the shower and reading my paper with coffee.

I was involved in one of those "weigh your food and count your calories" forums for a while. I mention this because I think it is a truer sampling of the population than those of us who join a forum to spend time discussing the fine points of peeling a potato. It wasn't uncommon for there to be twenty or thirty posts in a thread about how cold cereal took too much time for breakfast because you had to wash a bowl afterward.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom