A ? on ham and potato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you put raw ham in potato soup it becomes cooked ham. Can you put cooked ham which is a brined product in potato soup, yes of course. Don't really understand your question, try being less cryptic and say exactly what are you trying to find out?

Of course, you applying heat to meat, that will cook it. I probably would just simmer the soup and just add a little more time to cook the ham. Boiling could toughen and dry out the ham, so be mindful of doneness and don't overcook.

Will unooked ham cook enough to be safe to eat by boiling it with the ingredients?

Any raw meat will cook to a safe level if you cook it long enough. With raw ham, you just need to cook it in the soup long enough for the internal temperature of the ham to reach a safe temperature for the minimum amount of time for that temperature. At an IT of 160F, it is safe instantly. Below that, it needs to cook for a longer amount of time.

Raw ham is going to taste different from cured and/or smoked ham. I'd much prefer to use smoked ham in a potato soup.

CD

Last edited:
is raw ham not known as "pork?"

ham is "cured" / "preserved" and possibly smoked - can't recall every buying a "ham" that didn't say "fully cooked" - except for the ultrasmoked "Virginia/country ham" in a cloth bag style....

dcSaute, perhaps not now, but when I first started my own kitchen I was warned to look for whether or not the ham was fully cooked. Uncooked ham was simmered on the stove top for a long time. Not only did it reduce the salt content but it "cooked" the ham.
I ruined one of my very first whole family dinners. :cry:
Being "smoked" doesn't necessarily mean being cooked.
At least that my memories on it.

Smoking is a form of preservation. It was one of the ways people preserved meats before refrigeration. It just happened that smoking meats tasted good, so we still do it even now, when we don't really NEED to do it.

When I make my bean and ham soup, I start by cooking down a stock with the bone from a baked or smoked ham, with my aromatic vegetables. I remove the bone, and add my beans to cook in the stock. Then, add my leftover baked/smoked ham near the end. All that ham needs is to be heated through, since the ham bone (with some residual meat) flavored the soup.

I would do the exact same thing with potatoes.

1710533879182.jpeg

CD

Just to be clear, the USDA states
"Some are sold partially cooked or raw. It is important to check the product label to identify how the ham was processed. Partially cooked or raw hams will generally say “cook thoroughly” on the package in addition to displaying cooking directions and a safe handling instructions label. Mar 23, 2023"

I have not seen hams like that for some time here in Canada but I used to. Never hurts to check the labels.

I used to work in a deli. We had what was called fresh ham. Which was basically a pork roast. We seasoned it and roasted it. It was not smoked just roasted pork. Was very good. We sold a lot of fresh ham sandwiches.

“Hams can be fresh, cured or cured-and-smoked. The term ham refers to the cured leg of pork. A fresh ham would be an uncured leg of pork. The fresh ham will have the term “fresh” in the title of the product. The term fresh means that the product has not been cured in any process.”

Back
Top Bottom