Best brand of bottled orange juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhhh, YES, those seafood cocktail glasses. Loved them! Guess they're collectables now. :D

We kids drank from Welch's Jelly Jar Glasses. The Archies!

1715452347630.png

CD

Last edited:
Archies weren't around when we had the Welch's. Don't remember what was on them. But was a toss up between the shrimp and the grapes as to which was best.

These were our go-to juice glasses, after we finished the Welch's grape jelly.

il_300x300.3920131410_5sc9.jpg

My father drank orange juice every morning until he died @94 years old. Back in the 50s/60s, he bought it in a 48oz can that you opened with a "church key" can opener. I couldn't stand that stuff. It never tasted like an orange, it tasted like the friggin' can!

My father drank orange juice every morning until he died @94 years old. Back in the 50s/60s, he bought it in a 48oz can that you opened with a "church key" can opener. I couldn't stand that stuff. It never tasted like an orange, it tasted like the friggin' can!
I remember the stuff that came in those big cans. It was horrible. I worked in a convalescent hospital and nursing home in the mid 1970s and that's what they served to the patients and residents. *shudder*

The old spiral bound church cookbooks are full of punch recipes that include those large cans of juice.

We do the best we can with what we have.

A "church key," down here, is a bottle opener for longneck beers.

CD
But, the other end of that church key is pointy and is for punching holes in the tops of cans, so you can pour out the liquid, like with evaporated milk, juices, and beer in cans. And remember to punch a second hole, so air can get in to replace the liquid coming out the other hole.

I believe/think/perhaps(?) my late brother used to refer to the bottle openers that were screwed onto a wall as a church key.
taxy, would you believe I cannot find a picture of one of those type of can openers? Rounded on one end for bottles and a sharp pointy end for cans.
1715766092546.png
Found one! and yes, they listed it as a church key... never knew that. Into the Learn Something New today!

But, the other end of that church key is pointy and is for punching holes in the tops of cans, so you can pour out the liquid, like with evaporated milk, juices, and beer in cans. And remember to punch a second hole, so air can get in to replace the liquid coming out the other hole.
It was named because it resembled an old church key basically.
th

OIP.TYkxeVyDZLoodC_SVNHwSwHaGN

The one your referring to is probably like the one dragnlaw is showing and in my part of the woods that's been called a can opener as far back as I can remember. Mind you I think I've ever used it for opening a can a few times in my life and it might have been camping, but there was always a few kicking around to open bottles.

Last edited:
I believe/think/perhaps(?) my late brother used to refer to the bottle openers that were screwed onto a wall as a church key.
taxy, would you believe I cannot find a picture of one of those type of can openers? Rounded on one end for bottles and a sharp pointy end for cans.
View attachment 69243 Found one! and yes, they listed it as a church key... never knew that. Into the Learn Something New today!
That's the kind we called a church key in the Girl Sprouts. I think the pointy end is important. If you haven't got a regular can opener, you can use that pointy end to open a can of beans or whatever. Yes, there will be lots of sharp bits on the lid and opened can. It's better than not being able to get at that food.

Largest can you can get.... open and remove lid. Remove contents. Turn can up side down and use sharp point to pierce around the top "sides" of can creating vents. Build a small fire. Also pierce a few access points around bottom of "sides" of can. Place can over fire. Feed fire with tiny twigs. Cook an egg or small burger on lid.
Can't remember which badge we earned doing that... also had to start the fire with 3 kitchen matches - no more than that!

I've done a rough sketch but phone has died and need to wait before I can upload... oops.
ahhh, here we go....
1715812564378.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom