Browned cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's my cheffy science brain take on this.

Ok, so for argument purposes lets say butter is around 80% fat with milk solids and water making up the other 20% and when the water is evaporated out it leaves about 1% milk solids of basically proteins and lactose from what I found in the literature.

Heavy cream is about 35% fat, give or take with 65% water and milk solids and when the water is evaporated out that leaves about 5-7% of milk solids in the form of protein and lactose.

Basically after the fat has separated from the milk solids and the water has evaporated out of the cream we're left with around 5-7 times the milk solids than butter.

I suspect, and I might actually try this this coming week that the same process for making brown butter can happen but I believe it would take a very careful and controlled heat source and time to make this happen, but I believe it could be possible. Whether it's actually a better product than brown butter is yet to be seen. I suspect it isn't and why it's never been a thing because if it did transcend brown butter then it would have been a thing during the same time brown butter was originally found, because that's what happens in reality and in kitchens.
I'm 99% in agreement. But, apparently it is a thing in Slovakia and some other Slavic countries. The other thing that comes to mind is aquafaba. We have been using chickpeas out of cans for many decades. It was 2014 before Joël Roessel figured out to use them as an egg white substitute.

I might be conflating that frying the browned whipping cream with what is going on in this video of Kenji making massaman curry. The part I think may have sneaked into my brain starts 29 seconds into the video. Then the frying the coconut cream starts again at about 2:45.

Last edited:
I'm 99% in agreement. But, apparently it is a thing in Slovakia and some other Slavic countries. The other thing that comes to mind is aquafaba. We have been using chickpeas out of cans for many decades. It was 2014 before Joël Roessel figured out to use them as an egg white substitute.
Cream and butter are from the same source material while aquafaba which does whip up like egg white, it's not egg. Personally I would never substitute one for the other in the same way I would never use nuts to substitute cheese but that's what substitutes for it in the vegan community. As the saying goes, same same but different. Anyway, I might try and make brown cream just for kicks to see what happens.

I was just giving an example of something that only 10 years ago was discovered, even though the ingredient had been around for many decades. I might try playing with trying to make browned cream too. But, I'm not wasting more than one carton of cream on this unless it seems to work or have good potential.

I was just giving an example of something that only 10 years ago was discovered, even though the ingredient had been around for many decades. I might try playing with trying to make browned cream too. But, I'm not wasting more than one carton of cream on this unless it seems to work or have good potential.
I understand what your saying. When brown butter came to be it was about dairy and what can be done with the different ingredients. And cooking butter to clarify and then basically "burning" it and producing brown butter is in the same philosophy as reducing cream for different french sauces and there would have come time in a kitchen were the cream was left on the heat for too long, considering reduction is done generally with low heat simply because cooks and chefs are busy and they forget and chefs don't like to waste anything in the kitchen and would have milked it, yes pun intended, for all it's worth, and no brown cream anywhere. The French figured out what to do with dairy products a few hundred years ago and suspect there isn't much left to tell, but I have to admit I've never heard of brown cream, in any sense or any cookbook and I have over 300, but we'll see, I am curious as to why it's not know.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying. When brown butter came to be it was about dairy and what can be done with the different ingredients. And cooking butter to clarify and then basically "burning" it and producing brown butter is in the same philosophy as reducing cream for different french sauces and there would have come time in a kitchen were the cream was left on the heat for too long, considering reduction is done generally with low heat simply because cooks and chefs are busy and they forget and chefs don't like to waste anything in the kitchen and would have milked it, yes pun intended, for all it's worth, and no brown cream anywhere. The French figured out what to do with dairy products a few hundred years ago and suspect there isn't much left to tell, but I have to admit I've never heard of brown cream, in any sense or any cookbook and I have over 300, but we'll see, I am curious as to why it's not know.
Ah, now I understand where you are coming from. And yeah, it might not give a taste result much different from browned butter. Now I'm curious. Do you know of any French cooking that uses ghee?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom