'Caveman diet' to stay slim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
'Caveman diet' to stay slim

By Suzanne Finney

September 15, 2005

0,10114,5048555,00.jpg
Feast and famine ... our caveman ancestors most likely looked like Raquel Welch in One Million Years BC

IF you want to lose weight but hate eating healthy low-fat food, there is good news and bad news.

The good news is you can eat three square meals, including plenty of burgers, sausages and ice cream.

The bad news is you have to eat all three meals within two hours and starve for the rest of the day.

The Warrior Diet mirrors the eating habits of our cave-dwelling ancestors, who tended to eat just one big meal a day after killing their prey.

US researchers are making the first detailed study of the diet's success.

Two groups of volunteers, aged between 40 and 50, have been given identical diets of "ordinary" foods including burgers and ice-cream.

One group eat at normal meal times and the other eats all three meals between 4pm and 7pm.

While most struggle to "gorge" at first they eventually find it suits them more and many have lost weight.

Study leader and National Institute of Ageing neurosciences laboratory chief Dr Mark Mattson said the study was still going but the early signs were promising.

"I have had 40 or 50 e-mails from people who ate one meal a day, most say it was uncomfortable for the first one or two months but then they felt great," Dr Mattson, who follows the same regime himself and boasts a slender frame, said.

"Some lost a lot of weight. Some have seen changes in their blood glucose and pressure that suggest better health."

The first group is served a three-course evening meal, typically soup and bread, roast chicken and vegetables followed by fruit.

Breakfast is cereal and bread, sometimes accompanied with sausages or eggs, and lunch is soup or salad.

The second group get the same menu but have to eat it all during one early evening sitting.

The hours between 4pm and 7pm were chosen because that is when we tend to be hungriest.

"From an evolutionary point of view, our bodies are accustomed to feasting and fasting rather than to grazing," Dr Mattson said.

"Three or four meals a day may be good for young people but not for adults.'

Between the gorging hours, the recommended drinks are water and fruit juices.

Dieters are advised to cut alcohol consumption, though the occasional glass of wine or beer is allowed.

British nutritionists have dismissed the Warrior Diet as just another gimmick.

Professor Andrew Prentice of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Medical Research Council's international nutrition group said: "Metabolically, it looks as though nibbling is a good way to do things. It is much healthier and does not put as much strain on the body taking in so much food all at once".

And last week a UK Government adviser warned that there was no scientific evidence fad diets worked. Claire MacEvilly of the Medical Research Council said they are popular only because of celebrity endorsements but cannot back up their claims of dramatic weight loss.

I read the article this morning....
I think I could stick to this diet since I don't
get hungry until I start eating. But, I don't know how
good it would work.

Hey everyone!!!

My mom had always told me about this diet where you eat anything you want during one hour a day. So back in April I had a weeding and had to lose a couple of kilos in order to get into my dress. So I started doing that, I would eat around 1 or 2pm and literally be sooooo full I didn't want to see more food for the next 12 hours. At night I would eat a small fruit (not any kind either) like grapefruit of an apple. The next morning I would feel sooooo good. Not like Rachel Welch, though. I lost around five kilos in about a two month time. It's not enormous (compared with atkins or the like) but it's nice to be able to eat everything without worring. I hate those diets where you can only eat rye bread a piece of dry chicken and two pieces of brussel sprouts.

I do think it is really imporant to have that little snack at night and prevent any ulcers.

Luck to anyone that decides to follow my steps...

This is what happen to me Last Time I Tried getting Fit!:ohmy:

Attachments

• th-9632-0016.jpeg
    th-9632-0016.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom