Do you like persimmons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
example of both situations

Attachments

• d9b2a1ac-567f-464a-b6f9-6f6c7f1e1a46.jpeg
    d9b2a1ac-567f-464a-b6f9-6f6c7f1e1a46.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 8c9584fd-2d80-4389-a3ea-8c17b490813a.jpeg
    8c9584fd-2d80-4389-a3ea-8c17b490813a.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 9
I'm not sure , but I've eaten them both ways and didn't notice and difference in taste. I used to try and avoid the ones that had the darker spots. Now I don't care.

I'm not fond of them. To me it's just one more overpriced, somewhat unusual fruit. I don't think I would mind them as an ingredient, if not too much.

First time I had them was at a food expo 20+ years ago. If I remember correctly, the variety they were promoting was from Israel and called a Sharon Fruit. To this day, we refer to any persimmon as a Sharon fruit ( even if it's not, it's just how we remember it). I've only seen 2 varieties in the stores. I know there is also a Native American variety, which I haven't tried. I dont think they are marketable. Just have to know where a native tree is growing to sample them.

I don't like them at all - it's the texture that puts me off, not so much the taste.
We have two persimmon trees, but we just let the fruits drop off, nobody eats them. The bright orange colour of the leaves, in Autumn, is quite a pretty sight though.

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_114021.jpg
    IMG_20231030_114021.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 3
I don't like them at all - it's the texture that puts me off, not so much the taste.
We have two persimmon trees, but we just let the fruits drop off, nobody eats them. The bright orange colour of the leaves, in Autumn, is quite a pretty sight though.
I dislike the texture too. That's why I said they might be okay as an ingredient. I would try, if I had a free source of persimmons.

why they are often black inside?
This is what it says on Wikipedia, but I don't know if this is relevant to your persimmons:

There is a third type, less commonly available, the pollination-variant non-astringent persimmons. When fully pollinated, the flesh of these fruit is brown inside—known as goma in Japan—and the fruit can be eaten when firm. These varieties are highly sought after. Tsurunoko, sold as "chocolate persimmon" for its dark brown flesh, Maru, sold as "cinnamon persimmon" for its spicy flavor, and Hyakume, sold as "brown sugar", are the three best known.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom