Dots, dashes, lines & squiggles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrek has a roommate? Not you...TMI ;-).

Yeah, weighs about 380 lbs, snores horribly and he has the same name, only I really think he is a nice troll not an Ogre. Walk in and say, "Hi Shrek!" and get a "Hi!" back in stereo.

An easy way to do this, is to copy and paste these characters from someplace on the internet. That is what I do, when I want to be correct about my grammar and spelling for a reason, rather than my usual quick and careless way of typing.

Mel:)

Two notes:

Bill's method works in Windog, but only using the numbers on the numeric keypad.

Whether or not Alt or AltGr + a letter works, depends (at least in Windog) on which keyboard layout you have chosen. I used to use Brazilian Portuguese, because I could put all kinds of neat stuff quickly. E.g., e' gave me é (e + two ' gave me e'). But, they changed it.

Windog has a utility called "Character Map". It has all the special characters.

Screenshots of Character Map Icon and of Character Map in use, below. Once a character is highlighted, there is info about that character in the bottom line, e.g., how to make the character with keystrokes. I have Character Map pinned to my task bar because I write stuff in English, French, Danish, & Swedish. I only remember the key strokes for the letters I use a lot (æøå, éè), can't remember any of the upper case letters.

Windows has something called "charmap" that is virtually identical to that. Start -> Run -> charmap

I think "charmap" is just an abbreviation for Character Map.
Certainly it is. It's charmap.exe, the Windows accessory/utility that displays various character maps and allows you to copy and paste. I think it's been there since at least Windows 98, maybe earlier.

Certainly it is. It's charmap.exe, the Windows accessory/utility that displays various character maps and allows you to copy and paste. I think it's been there since at least Windows 98, maybe earlier.

I have seen it as early as Windows 3.0. I didn't notice if it was in 2.7 as I only used that waste once.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue Windows 3.1 at least, but I couldn't really remember. I ran Windows 3.0 only a short time, just playing with it. Back in those days DOS was king. I used Windows 3.1 mainly because of a few games they had, like WinMine. I did all my important stuff from DOS programs. That was before the Internet became popularized.

Last edited:
Is that humour that I don't understand or did you not realize I meant Windows when I wrote Windog?

Is that humour that I don't understand or did you not realize I meant Windows when I wrote Windog?
I guess it's me. I thought Windog was some kind of aftermarket thing you downloaded, perhaps shareware or freeware. I've never encountered the term "Windog" before. The term I'm familiar with is Windoze.

I guess it's me. I thought Windog was some kind of aftermarket thing you downloaded, perhaps shareware or freeware. I've never encountered the term "Windog" before. The term I'm familiar with is Windoze.
Windog is my opinion of that operating system, though with Win 7, it is getting better, albeit with issues, e.g., every new version of Windows Explorer has a simpler, less useful search function.

Best Windows ever was 2000. XP was tolerable. Vista was an abomination. 7 is a bit better than Vista... I've been reading chit-chat from my technical buddies (I'm not in their league) and from what I hear Windows 8 is going to be the worst ever.

I've heard that Windows 8 is doing away with the start button, and they've made it difficult or impossible for after market developers to put it back. That's the chit-chat and I don't understand the details so don't ask me.

Explorer (AKA "Windoze Exploder") was never good except for users too technically challenged to download Mozilla or Firefox.

I guess charmap has been here since Win3.0. It's probably time that they should replace it with something useless and difficult to use, preferably with a user interface that nobody can understand.

Maybe Linux is the future. It's already the basis for half of the Internet, the so called LAMP constellation of free GPL public license software, Linux (o/s), Apache (web server), MySQL (database) and PHP (programming language), the basis for web servers including DC's server and vBulletin forum software.

It's kind of good to know that DC does not run on Microsoft software.

Last edited:
Best Windows ever was 2000. XP was tolerable. Vista was an abomination. 7 is a bit better than Vista... I've been reading chit-chat from my technical buddies (I'm not in their league) and from what I hear Windows 8 is going to be the worst ever.

I've heard that Windows 8 is doing away with the start button, and they've made it difficult or impossible for after market developers to put it back. That's the chit-chat and I don't understand the details so don't ask me.

Explorer (AKA "Windoze Exploder") was never good except for users too technically challenged to download Mozilla or Firefox.

I guess charmap has been here since Win3.0. It's probably time that they should replace it with something useless and difficult to use, preferably with a user interface that nobody can understand.

Maybe Linux is the future. It's already the basis for half of the Internet, the so called LAMP constellation of free GPL public license software, Linux (o/s), Apache (web server), MySQL (database) and PHP (programming language), the basis for web servers including DC's server and vBulletin forum software.

It's kind of good to know that DC does not run on Microsoft software.
I would use Linux, but my professional tax software and QuickBooks® run on Windows. I have run a Windows inside of Linux, but that sort of defeats the purpose of running Linux and it's a PITA. I run QB because I am a QuickBooks® ProAdvisor, so different accounting software wouldn't really solve my problem.

I mentioned Windows Explorer, the one for looking at your files and directories, not Internet Explorer.

Well I've used Windows so much (including writing Windows applications in Visual C++) because all my jobs have used engineering software available only on Windows, and in the last 20 years Microsoft Office pretty much took the whole market. One job I also had a Sun workstation (Unix, very similar to Linux) in addition to my Windows NT 5.1 workstation.

These days (retired) I think I'm about ready to migrate to Linux, IF I can find a version that I like, IF it has most of the ease of usability of Windows WITHOUT the PITA aspect of Windows.

I''m getting to the point where about all I need is Firefox, Thunderbird, some way to edit text files, a way to handle Word documents and Excel spreadsheets, and maybe a music (MP3) player. I'm pretty sure I can find all that for Linux although I may not like the user interface.

I'm really annoyed with MSFT because I would have been happy to use Windows 2000 forever, with just the applications I already had, but unfortunately they quit supporting Win2k so I'd be open to hacker attacks if I hadn't upgraded.

OIC re: Windows Explorer. I like that too, one of the few reasonably designed tools, although they've hosed it up on my Windows 7, in ways that I won't bore anybody with the details.

I wonder how much about Windows "improvement" is simply that MSFT can't make enough profit if nobody wants to upgrade to the new version, or new applications. As I said, I was quite happy with what I had a dozen years ago, and I'm far less content with what I'm stuck with these days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom