Expired but unopened foods, are they safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
Today after cleaning up the kitchen I found the following items that have expired

a pack of bread crumbs for frying (perfectly sealed in unopened bag and expired for 1.5 years)
a bottle of curry powder (sealed in glass bottle and expired for 2 years)

Are they still safe to use and eat?
Could there be any unknown risks for expired food?

Using foods beyond the expiration date has to be on a case by case basis.

Here's my opinion on the topic.

Keep in mind that expiration dates are mandatory for foods in the US. Some never need it. Canned goods in undamaged cans are good for years. Same with Bottled water, salt, sugar, dry grains to name a few.

A bottle of curry powder is nothing but a spice mix so I'd guess it would be fine forever. It will not be as potent as when it was new but it would be safe to eat. Just use a little extra and toast the spice briefly in a dry hot skillet.

Pretty much the same with breadcrumbs.

Last edited:

Keep in mind that expiration dates are mandatory for foods in the US. Some never need it. Canned goods in undamaged cans are good for years. Same with Bottled water, salt, sugar, dry grains to name a few.

A bottle of curry powder is nothing but a spice mix so I'd guess it would be fine forever. It will not be as potent as when it was new but it would be safe to eat. Just use a little extra and toast the spice briefly in a dry hot skillet.

Ditto +

+2...

expiration/use by/best by dates are not mandatory in USA - with the sole exception of infant formula.

for eggs, if the carton bears the USDA seal, it must have a pack date. a sell by / use by / best by date is not mandatory.

however, if a sell by date or use by date is printed, USDA specifies the sell by date must be pack date + 30 days or less. if a use by date is printed, that date must be pack date + 42 days or less.

some states have laws regarding dating of fresh dairy - such as milk - but they are not consistent.

all other product dating is at the discretion of the manufacturer, and typically represent the manufacturer's opinion as to the period of time the product will retain its quality level.

I agree with dragnlaw and but would add ... common sense. Before laws were enacted, that was the number one rule. I used a package of stashed bread crumbs that were two years past the "expired" date. No one got sick and gobbled down every bite of the dish.

I've been drinking coffee that had the the use by date of June 20-2016.
The container was sealed. It's not as strong but why waste it.

Munky.

and... I've used diary products waaay past their recommended use by dates.
Common sense says... package has never been opened and exposed to any nasties that might be lurking in your kitchen.

Once opened and the product is past its prime - means to use it up ASAP or chuck it especially if your NOSE tells you to.

Best Before, Use By only means, as already stated by others here, the product is at its BEST, at its optimum flavour, top of its game, after that the quality may start to go down.

I've long since past my Best Before/Use By date - and luckily no one's thrown me out yet. :ermm: :( :D

I agree with most of the statements here, but you basically have to use your nose - if it smells bad, toss it! Many things, like bread crumbs, can go rancid, depending on the oils used. I've had some things well before the expiration date that were rancid, while many things tasted fine well past the date. And sometimes companies will pack things with nitrogen, to replace the oxygen, to keep them from going bad as quickly. I have never had any of those batches of legumes go bad; some grains go bad, while others last just about forever, as long as they are whole, and the grain hasn't been "cracked" in some way, exposing the oils.

I would be more concerned with expired dairy products. ...speaking of which, my carton of milk expires today so I better consume the rest of it by midnight tonight.

Expired liquid especially milk is dangerous by common sense, so no worries I would
never ever take any risks on milk products.

kenny, spoiled pasteurized milk is not dangerous. While it tastes yucky, it won't harm you. But you can use it up without drinking it by using it in baking. I use my spoiled milk for coffee cakes and fluffy fluffy pancakes. It acts like buttermilk in most recipes.

Here's an article from NPR that has a lot of good information about using expired foods:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...r-milk-10-tips-cut-food-waste-in-your-kitchen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom