Ganache help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattchewone

Assistant Cook
Can anyone tell me or advice me on the best ration of cream and chocolate to make a nice thick ish piping and/or frosting/cake covering? I have done it once or twice and found it was quite soft still even after a day in a cool place I'd like it to be soft but not squeeshy when pressed if that's possible. Also is it best to whip it after an hour or so of cooling then pipe it?

Thanks

Also when making truffles is it best to have a higher chocolate ratio and to chill in the fridge for a few hours before I ball them?

When they are balled and rolled can they be stored out of a fridge or do they need to be fridge stored?

The usual conversion for a classic ganache is made with equal parts of chocolate and cream. I usually follow this basic recipe and use 8 ounces of chocolate to every cup of heavy cream. If you would like to get a stiffer ganache, just add in more chocolate as you go. I've made eclairs where I've added about 12 ounces of chocolate to a cup of heavy cream so they would set and could be stacked. Since you are whipping it, though, I would add maybe just another 2 oz of chocolate and use a hand held or stand mixer to whip it until it's light and fluffy.

The ganache should be fine whipped at any time, just remember that whipping it will make it fluffy and paler, versus the ganache that is more like a chocolate sauce and sets in a firm glaze.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
The ganache I made before didn't set hard is there a reason for that? I even tried chilling it and it was a bit soft still. I didn't whip it. I haven't tried whipping yet I just wanted to know what the difference in finish was and why and what you would use normal ganache compared to whipped.

Thanks

Ganache does not set very hard, it's used more as a chocolate covering over cake that's more hot fudge-like than hard chocolate. If you use more chocolate in the mixture, it'll become firmer.

Hope this helps :)

pouring
1:1 semi-sweet to whipping cream weight to weight with at least 52% cocoa
icing
2:1 semi-sweet to whipping cream weight to weight with at least 52% cocoa
3:1 milk to whipping cream weight to weight
4:1 white to whipping cream weight to weight [good luck!]
Mix and sit in covered container on counter overnight.
Beat, whip or stir to desired consistency ..

Back
Top Bottom