Garden catalogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
Garden catalogs. I Finnnnnnnnally got off the mailing list of every garden catalog in print, many which are are just weeds and a waste of paper. O look, here’s another one, and it’s free, mail in the postage paid card. Well, afterwhile my mailman was on the verge of a hernia attack. And that’s before he starting bringing packages up the walk. My spring anticipation, no spring left in his step. I got only One this winter. Hurray ! I have a short series bookmarked to read on line. A few specialty catalogs, like a chile pepper catalog, fun to look at and who knew there are so many peppers.
One advantage of a paper catalog is they sometimes have growing tips and other information I do not take the time to find or read on line, just look at the pretty pictures.

Thompson and Morgan, drool, Burpee’s , Gurney’s ( a regional Midwest company), Heirloom Roses in St Paul Oregon ( they sell both heat resistant and cold hardy own root not grafted roses. Reasonable prices. Yes it’s a plug, I like them. They are close to Milwaukie Or, although they spell it wrong. ( Did you know there is a Pittsburgh Ca and California Pa and if I ever go to Duluth Ga, I would still pronounce it the same – DaLute, the Minnesota way).

After reading / clicking my way through, sometimes enlarging a photo, and not much ordering, I start scouring the local green houses for seeds right about now, mostly who has early bird sales. I collect a few seeds from my garden from year to year too. I don't Need much and I Do Need at least one New plant(s) q/ year to grow.

On or about St Patrick Day, I set up the grow lights. On my basement workbench. Build a moat and surround the perimeter with water filled old milk cartons so the kids don’t jump up and make a morning snack on seedlings. O look, sprouts, tastes like grass. Mid march to mid may is 8 weeks, and just about perfect to transplant seedlings in our climate. I tried tomatoes and petunias and impatiens from seed. Needs a much longer indoor head start. I find most annuals take to this 8 week cycle.

Here’s a sampling of several garden websites I like. And have ordered from and purchased their products. And if perrenial plants, they grew !

Thompson and Morgan, A British company. They sell in the US and have seed sections at some garden centers. Look on line, buy at a local nursery if possible.
www.tmseeds.com/

Heirloom Roses
Roses, Rose Bushes, Rose Gardening, Rose Plants - Heirloom Roses

Seed savers (heirloom) seeds
Seed Savers Exchange: Passing on our Garden Heritage

White Flower Farm, Litchfield Connecticut. This is one paper catalog I wish I still received. Their garden design photos shown throughout are stupendous.
www.whiteflowerfarm.com/

What do you like to grow? Do you have a favorite garden website you prefer or recommend?

Thanks to both of you for sharing these links .. it's getting close to that time of year again ..can't wait !!

Burpee's, Gurneys, and Spring Hill are old reliables. I too have been happy with Thompson and Morgan and Whiteflower. Unfortunately, I now have so many perennials that I couldn't possibly cram in another one! Now I just buy annuals and vegetables from local greenhouse growers and Walmart. I used to grow everything from seed under growlights in the basement. That was a lot of work!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom