Honey Flavor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
Internet tells me that honey can have many flavors like floral notes etcetera. But is there any honey that actually has no strong flavor? Barely detectable?

Honey is a natural product and its taste will vary based on which flowers the bees visited. Some flowers may contribute a milder flavor than others.

Because taste is subjective to the individual the only way you will ever know is for you to taste each flavour you find in your area. Even then it is your taste that is judging. Your neighbour may feel different!

Probably around here (Ontario, Quebec) clover is the most common, not necessarily the mildest. Orange Blossom is also extremely popular.

I don't eat enough to even begin to guess at any of the flavours!

Mild flavour, hmm. A lot of supermarket honey is mild in flavour, but it's often adulterated. Now, if you were asking about a strongly flavoured honey, I would say buckwheat. But, honestly, I don't notice a huge difference in flavour between the various kinds of honey.

I have no idea which are milder than others, but I am now humming "Honey Honey" by ABBA. Thanks for the "ear worm," DC. :LOL:

Lol. Sorry about that. I am making candies with flavor oils and wanted to add honey to change texture. I don't want too much extra flavor already in there before adding my own.

Clover honey is what you can find easiest in stores. It's a basic flavor, not very unique. Be sure the label says 100% honey, though. Some "honey" is a blend of honey and corn syrup. There are other neutral flavored honeys, but I keep clover on hand for baking and cooking.

A lot of honey tastes like the flower it is derived from. Orange blossom honey tastes a lot like what an orange blossom smells like - and it's not really close to what an orange tastes like to me. Lavender honey is rather...different. Generally, the darker the honey the more flavor-forward it will be.

Here's a nifty chart with a wide variety of honeys and their flavor profiles:

The Wide and Wonderful World of Honey Flavors

Clover honey is what you can find easiest in stores. It's a basic flavor, not very unique. Be sure the label says 100% honey, though. Some "honey" is a blend of honey and corn syrup. There are other neutral flavored honeys, but I keep clover on hand for baking and cooking.

A lot of honey tastes like the flower it is derived from. Orange blossom honey tastes a lot like what an orange blossom smells like - and it's not really close to what an orange tastes like to me. Lavender honey is rather...different. Generally, the darker the honey the more flavor-forward it will be.

Here's a nifty chart with a wide variety of honeys and their flavor profiles:

The Wide and Wonderful World of Honey Flavors

Groovy. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom