Hump Day Wednesday 16 August Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
Indian Goat Curry with Coconut Dal šŸ« 

IMG_0266.jpeg

Cookā€™s Notes: I didnā€™t tell MrJade that it was goat, because he would have automatically hated it. Heā€™s funny with strange ingredients that he isnā€™t used to.

It was lovely, but as always, quite a bit of work to do it all from scratch. Wouldnā€™t present my food any other way though - I make as much as possible from scratch.

Not shown: the pappadums and raita.

Had a late lunch yesterday, so all I had for supper was some toast with homemade peach jam, and some cranberry-orange cookies.
Do you have a recipe for the peach jam that you can share?

I had ww bread with mushroom lentil pate, mushroom gravy over top. A friend showed me a recipe for Zito, cooked whole wheat berries, honey, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and I had that for dessert. (I didn't use the volume of honey, walnuts....I just used enough to make it delicious.)

Thatā€™s interesting, I see bags of frozen goat chunks in my local market and have often wondered how best to use them.

I made a shrimp fajita and had a mandarin orange snack cup for afters. šŸ·šŸ·šŸ·
Be warned also that each of those little chunks of goat meat contain a bone. there is no way you can separate. I think they are neck bone? not sure. They are certainly tasty but fiddly to eat with the bones. I don't think I've ever seen whole pieces of goat meat. Maybe in a Caribbean or Asian market, I've not looked.

I've only made one dish with them for my BIL who is Jamaican. Didn't do too bad, it was pretty good but it made a LOT. Think he might have liked it a bit spicier. :LOL:

Be warned also that each of those little chunks of goat meat contain a bone. there is no way you can separate. I think they are neck bone? not sure. They are certainly tasty but fiddly to eat with the bones. I don't think I've ever seen whole pieces of goat meat. Maybe in a Caribbean or Asian market, I've not looked.

I've only made one dish with them for my BIL who is Jamaican. Didn't do too bad, it was pretty good but it made a LOT. Think he might have liked it a bit spicier. :LOL:
I was going to mention all the bones. I have never cooked it, but whenever we have had from Caribbean or Indian restos, it has had a bunch of little bones. I don't mind. DH hates fiddling with little bones. I have to wonder what the story is with that. I don't think goats have more bones that other ungulates.

I dressed up some store bought spinach and ricotta ravioli with a lemon and pea sauce. I served it with a leafy salad and homemade vinaigrette. Ooh, that new red wine vinegar is tangy. It was a nice surprise.

Ordered in Chinese while at my brother's - very good.

No taxy, they don't have more, but the neck/spine bones themselves are cut up into small pieces. I didn't mind fiddling with them then, rather doubt I'd have the patience for it any more.

Ordered in Chinese while at my brother's - very good.

No taxy, they don't have more, but the neck/spine bones themselves are cut up into small pieces. I didn't mind fiddling with them then, rather doubt I'd have the patience for it any more.
But all the meat can't be from the neck. There has to meat from other parts of the goat. Maybe the neck is just cheap and tasty. :unsure:

taxy, it was a long time ago and believe me - those were tiny bones and still cut up. Honestly don't remember how many pieces (if any) did not have part of a bone in it.

The more I think about it, if remembering correctly, as the cuts were very smooth, even I believe the were machine cuts (as in a band saw). Perhaps the whole piece of meat was frozen prior to slicing up. That would certainly aid in making such even clean cuts.

Back
Top Bottom