If I use oyster mushrooms instead will it be too chewy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef

i also plan on adding some cream
instead of dried tomatoes i will use tomato paste..

i tihnk i will go for a regular pot
i was in the shop today and they didn't had oyster mushrooms. i will try another day

I think oyster mushrooms would stand up to the cooking.
A very interesting recipe, I've saved it - for a maybe try it one day, lol.

Why do you ask if the oyster mushrooms will be too chewy? Are you planning on using dehydrated oyster mushrooms?

I find oyster mushrooms to be a tad bit chewier than portobello's in the raw state but not when cooked. Certainly not after the way they are done in this recipe.
Seeing - even if they are a tad chewier, it will seem like the meat the original Kashmir recipe was made for.
I might use a few oyster mushrooms but, comparatively speaking, they are more expensive here, so I would probably go the majority with the Porto's.

Funny that, oyster mushrooms are the cheapest type of mushrooms here.
About 3 U$ per kg at the Chinese market, around 4 to 4.50 elsewhere

I have to get myself down to the Asian Market here.

Big box (and rather expensive) grocer here have Oyster & Shitake, fresh - $ umm are you sitting down? $26.43 per k.
King Oyster about the same at 27$ a k.
Large white regulars that they call "Stuffers" a pkg of 320 gr. is 5.49 ea.
Regular white or brown "button" mushrooms, usually in a 227 gr pkg is this week $3.99 - Often brown button, which they call Crimini, are about $1.00 or $.50 more per gr.
As soon as the button mushrooms get big enough, they are immediately called Portobello's and the price goes up according to their size.
And it's weird as tiny button mushrooms are more expensive than, what you would call, your regular 'garden variety' sized mushroom.

Glad you told me to sit down!
I find our button mushrooms ridiculous expensive at around 2.5 - 3.0 U$ a punnet (250 gr)

Back
Top Bottom