If you had to choose... Airfyer or Instapot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really thought I wasn't going to get either. Who needs appliances they rarely use taking up space, right?
Until I saw the NInja Foodie 12 in 1, which has both for $220 on Amazon, but I found it for $28 on FB marketplace. I bought the FB one and it was almost perfectly new possibly used one time and in perfect condition. So at least 2 times a week I use the IP to make oat groats or dried red or black beans (or any kind), and at least 2 times a week we make oil free french fries from cut fresh potatoes. We've used the air fryer to crisp up edges on stuffing/dressing and mashed potatoes, or heat up and crisp a non meat hamburger. I've had it since right before Christmas. It was my Christmas gift to myself.
I haven't used it to make brown basmati rice but I might do that next to see how we like that in the IP. I can't say I like the air fryer part better than the IP part or the other way around. I like them both and I haven't packed them away.
Edited to add: I also make wheat berries or rye berries in it, like making dried beans.

That sounds great Aunt Bea, but it's not for me and on Amazon, all the duo ones start at about $250.00 Cdn. Don't think she would go for that price.

casey, you don't want, you don't have - to each their own, fine by me. I also don't have, think I don't want but I keep looking at them, biggest drawback is their size! LOL...

bliss, think if I found one for 28$ I'd go for it. How much would I really use it? Have no clue, I don't cook a lot of the things you do. I already have a slow cooker, but I do like the pressure cook part. I use my toaster oven with fan for fries and things like that - so really I don't need one.

I'll send her a link to this thread and she can read the pro's and con's for herself. I rather think she should start looking at recipes done in the Instapot and see if those are the type she might start making or just don't interest her at all.

Prior to the air fryer, I baked things on parchment in the oven at 400 deg F, and it took about an hour to 70 minutes to get crisp 'fries'. Prior to the IP, I'd cook dried beans on the stove, for how ever long it took, sometimes 90 minutes when necessary. So either one is not necessary, it's a convenience for some.

I have both, too, but if I were only to get one, it would be the IP, but I guess you knew that already. I use it much more than the AF, due to all those legumes and whole grains I cook. A few other things, too, but those are the main things - just helps speed them up, plus, you don't have to watch it closely. So it all depends on what you cook the most of!

LOL, well, nobody has really given me any surprise answers. I really think it is, as has been said, completely dependant on what one normally cooks. Of course, there is that off chance you discover a new way of cooking and dive right into it.

OK, thanks guys. She'll have to do her own research to makeup her mind.

That sounds great Aunt Bea, but it's not for me and on Amazon, all the duo ones start at about $250.00 Cdn. Don't think she would go for that price.

casey, you don't want, you don't have - to each their own, fine by me. I also don't have, think I don't want but I keep looking at them, biggest drawback is their size! LOL...

bliss, think if I found one for 28$ I'd go for it. How much would I really use it? Have no clue, I don't cook a lot of the things you do. I already have a slow cooker, but I do like the pressure cook part. I use my toaster oven with fan for fries and things like that - so really I don't need one.

I'll send her a link to this thread and she can read the pro's and con's for herself. I rather think she should start looking at recipes done in the Instapot and see if those are the type she might start making or just don't interest her at all.

If I had unlimited kitchen storage space, I might consider one... maybe?

I'm thinking you can probably find a lot of IPs and air-fryers online for dirt cheap. Like exercise equipment, I bet a lot of people buy them, use them a few times, and stick them in the garage until they finally clean the garage and sell them -- along with the treadmill and exercise bike.

I bought an air-fryer for my sister for Christmas about three years ago (her request). She used it a few times, and stuck in a cabinet, where it's been for over two years.

CD

LOL, well, nobody has really given me any surprise answers. I really think it is, as has been said, completely dependant on what one normally cooks. Of course, there is that off chance you discover a new way of cooking and dive right into it.

OK, thanks guys. She'll have to do her own research to makeup her mind.
Not sure I agree with this. Most things I cook with conventional means can also be cooked in one of these two options. I don't need another way to cook the same things. For example, I can cook wings on the grill, deep fry them or broil them. I don't need a forth way to cook them. Besides, most AF can only do small batches.

I have a toaster oven with fan bake (convection) that works great for fries and other stuff that is well suited to an air fryer. If that died, I would get one of the oven style air fryers. I am thinking about maybe getting an instant pot type of thing. The part where you don't have to watch the food as much, that Pepperhead mentioned, does have a lot of appeal, as does the speeded up from the pressure cooking. But, it would be one more thing to find a space for, so I guess I will have to just think about getting one.

I would seek a combo. However, the IP was awesome to have during the kitchen remodel, but I have rarely used it less since the remodel. I've wished to have an airfryer on a few occasions. So.....a combo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom