In your kitchen...where's YOUR shine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rparrny

Senior Cook
Whether we have designed our own kitchen, remodeled or just updated with some paint and accessories, our kitchens usually contain something that makes us say "Yeah, that was MY idea!".
Where's YOUR shine?

Creating a kosher kitchen is a challenge, two ovens, two dishwashers, 2 sets of plates, silverware, pots...space is really an issue so I wanted every inch of my small eat in kitchen to have purpose.

The cabinet over the fridge: I've seen so many but they usually house oversized bowls and unused flower vases that are impossible to reach without a stool. I decided to turn mine into a storage area for platters, rolling pins, cutting boards, muffin tins, pizza peels...because they are on their side it makes them easy to reach and I'm only 5'5" tall. I had this made into two cabiniets, one side for meat the other for dairy but it could easily be one cabinet.
I love this use of space and use it everyday.

Attachments

• cab1.jpg
    cab1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 173
  • cab2.jpg
    cab2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Okay, this has me puzzled. Could you explain it?

CD

I am not Jewish, nor am I an expert, but basically Jews who 'keep kosher' follow a set of dietary rules laid out in the Talmud, as interpreted from the teachings of the Torah. Since meat and dairy may not mix, they keep totally separate tools and equipment for dishes which contain one or the other. Foods which contain neither are classified as parve, and can be combined with either.

As a student of many religions, but a believer in none, I find it fascinating that so many religious teachings have dietary restrictions. Understanding them brings us all closer to understanding each other.

I am not Jewish, nor am I an expert, but basically Jews who 'keep kosher' follow a set of dietary rules laid out in the Talmud, as interpreted from the teachings of the Torah. Since meat and dairy may not mix, they keep totally separate tools and equipment for dishes which contain one or the other. Foods which contain neither are classified as parve, and can be combined with either.

As a student of many religions, but a believer in none, I find it fascinating that so many religious teachings have dietary restrictions. Understanding them brings us all closer to understanding each other.

What she said is very true. So to simplify it to the point where everyone can understand the restrictions, I will make it even simpler.

I worked for a company that built custom kitchen cabinets. They got a customer who kept a Kosher home.

So the cabinet maker had to make two sets of every cabinet. There were two kitchens. Exactly alike. Two sets of pans, exactly alike. Two sets of dishes, two sets of everything. Including the kitchen appliances. Two dishwashers, two fridges, two stoves. Never the twain shall meet.

This family was so dedicated to their religion, that there was no parve in their life. It was like walking into two separate homes. They even bought two separate groceries for each side of the two kitchens.

Are your upper cabinets custom made to be deeper than average? I'm just shy of 5.5 feet and there is no way I could reach the cabinets over my fridge without a step ladder, because the cabinets sit back so far from the front edge of the fridge (at least a foot). I not only have to reach up, but also back.

Are your upper cabinets custom made to be deeper than average? I'm just shy of 5.5 feet and there is no way I could reach the cabinets over my fridge without a step ladder, because the cabinets sit back so far from the front edge of the fridge (at least a foot). I not only have to reach up, but also back.

They are deeper. I do still have about 6 inches of the fridge jutting out.

And that is why I have to tall boys in the family. Of course they constantly chide me every time I need something. I can't even reach the back of my bottom shelves.

But I have a small stool that I just pick up with one hand and if I still can't reach what I want, I get out the stool with two steps. But I still can't reach anything in back of any shelf. And forget about over the fridge. All my top shelves are for storage only.

Back
Top Bottom