ISO - Summer Pasta Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cusinefiend

Assistant Cook

With summer soon approaching and the bbq weather on the horizon, i was wondering does anybody have good, no excellent fresh pasta summer recipes to share or to get the best out of 5 key ingredient tomatoes,pasta,pesto,basil and fresh veg, look forward to hearing your responses :)

Pasta with raw tomato sauce is light and refreshing, especially if you have great-tasting fresh tomatoes. It's basically fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh basil, chopped black olives (optional), spices, and extra virgin olive oil.

Process garlic until finely chopped, then add the tomatoes, basil, spices, and olives, and coarsely chop. Add in the olive oil. Serve over pasta with Parmigiano Reggiano.

Last edited:
That's excellent would you suggest using a variety of tomatoes or a particular one, also what spices would you suggest, thankyou

Any fresh tomatoes are fine - a mixture would be great. I've used mostly Campari and grape tomatoes. For the spices, I add some red pepper flakes, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. I also add some dried oregano.

I really like low-cooking time recipes for summer because my kitchen is not air-conditioned. So when I'm up in the wee hours, I boil water for pasta and stick it in the fridge.

I sometimes throw some frozen brocolli florettes right into the water that I'm using to boil the pasta (throw the broccoli in as soon as the water comes to a boil, then when the water comes back to a boil, toss in the macaroni and boil until the macaroni is done). I used to grow broccoli, and it works about the same. The timing is such that the veg is still green with a little crunch when the pasta is done. It also works with fresh or frozen green beans.

Couscous and taboule are my real summer go-tos because, once again, I can make them in the morning in very little time and eat them cold or nuked at supper time.

Both can be turned into entire meals. I use Near East brand because it is pretty readily available.

When you have great tomatoes in the summer, and basil, all you need is olive oil and garlic. Maybe a little hot pepper if your garden (or favorite market) supplies. I make tons of pesto in the summer, but rarely eat it then, just using the fresh basil and freezing the pesto. To me, pesto needs nothing but pasta. But I do use it to season lasagna in my tomato sauce during the winter (lasagna is NOT a summer dish for me!).

If you're into a meat-free meal once in awhile, a can of chick peas in your pasta are great.

For greens, spinach, swiss chard, and beet greens can be roughly chopped or julienned for the tougher ones, then tossed into the pasta at the last minute (drain pasta, put back on the pot on the burner with olive oil and seasonings for just a minute or two).

All can be topped just before eating with a strong, dry cheese: parmesan, romano, asiago, any of the blues, feta.

So many pastabilities.

Pasta primavera
Pasta primavera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Summer go-to - Pasta salad:

Medium pasta of choice (bow-ties, ziti, penne, tortellini, etc. or orzo)
dressing of choice - or pesto
vegetables of choice (summer squash, zuchinni, cherry tomatoes, red onion, etc.)
cheese of choice

Pair your cheese with your dressing, i.e. Greek (feta and Tzatziki), Italian (mozzarella & vinaigrette), etc.

Add protein of choice.

Add garbanzo beans to the mix, if you like.

For a crowd, layer the ingredients in a large glass bowl.

Pasta Salad

Good Evening,

Firstly, I posted a Risotto Primavera in the Rice Section on Sunday, for those who might like to take a look at it.

I like cold pasta salad almost as a Greek Salad however, with:

black olives ( Kalamata )
cherry tomatoes
grilled prawns or shrimp
top layer: feta cheese
Italian green pepper shaped like a horn or bell in strips
green scallion
anchovies
extra virgin olive oil
a drizzle of lemon
oregano
salt
black freshly grinded pepper
sweet red bell pepper in strips
golden yellow bell pepper in strips
vinegar to taste and choice of person creating

serve with hot pita and a white wine of choice

Margi. Cintrano.

I love pasta with fresh tomatoes, green pepper, cukes, zucchini (julienne), garlic, green onions, fresh oregano, basil, capers, olive oil and a nice vinegar (white/red wine, balsamic or freshly squeezed lime / lemon / tangerine / orange juice), a drizzle of white truffle oil and fresh parm. cheese. When corn's in season, I'll add corn. I'll add grilled chicken breast if I want meat. Hard boiled eggs. I put everything in a big Tupperware container and "shake it up." I will add garbanzo beans or another bean for fiber.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom