Kalamata Olives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I have been pretty happy with the Mezzetta brand for things like jarred peppers. I have never had to buy their olives as my local Safeway had an olive bar with really good stuff (albeit at $8/lb). Unfortunately, the key word in that last sentence is "had". So I bought some Mezzetta ones and they were just meh. Tasted decent, but were really small and kind of mushy.

So do any of you have a brand you really like for jarred/canned kalamata olives?

I have tried a number of brands. Interestingly the Roland olives are pretty good and my favorite are Iliada Kalamata.

recently there has been a trend towards selling them pitted and it's a real shame imo as the flavor begins to break down quickly.

tried Mezzetta - they're decent. picked up some Greek import Peloponnese - I've had some fantastic Greek olives so here's hoping....

btw - Mezzetta roasted red peppers - several times they grow white fuzzy stuff in the fridge after opening. tossed the remainder - not at all appetizing. anyone have similar issues?

says preserved with citric acid - perhaps not sufficiently acid?

If you like the flavor and aroma of kalaata olives

Try Amoretti Premium Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Infused with the Natural Flavor & Aroma of Kalamata Olives. The flavor and aroma are fantastic!

single-olive-oil-gift-box-500ml.jpg

Or if you want tor try something really special, order the three bottle sample pack of the olive oil, pomegranate balsamic vinegar anda vinaigrette made with both.

olive-oil-trio-3pk-50ml_63251096-d74c-4cc4-9883-2bc35d1d8150.jpg

Yes, I used to work there, but its been 5 years and I still order from them because their products are superior to anything else available on the market. Believe me, as part of my job I sampled everything they make, and no, I do not get a discount. I pay the same price as all y'all would.

NOTE: Pomegranate balsamic vinegar contains no wine, so it can be considered halal and is also perfect for those who are keeping kosher.

Last edited:
I got into the Kroger olive bar Kalamatas for a while but decided $8/lb was too rich for my blood. The Mediterranean Market has dozens of options and I've tried a few but not recently and can't remember which brands I liked and didn't.

Will ask the guy to recommend one next time I'm there.

tried Mezzetta - they're decent. picked up some Greek import Peloponnese - I've had some fantastic Greek olives so here's hoping....

btw - Mezzetta roasted red peppers - several times they grow white fuzzy stuff in the fridge after opening. tossed the remainder - not at all appetizing. anyone have similar issues?

says preserved with citric acid - perhaps not sufficiently acid?
I just had DH check. Our Mezzetta roasted red peppers, in the fridge, opened, best by aug. 22' growing the white fuzzy stuff. Thank you, time to change brands.

I have only seen that if I don't make sure the peppers are completely covered by the liquid.

I just had DH check. Our Mezzetta roasted red peppers, in the fridge, opened, best by aug. 22' growing the white fuzzy stuff. Thank you, time to change brands.

I'v e had that happen with our regional brand. I just buy the smaller jar now.

I have only seen that if I don't make sure the peppers are completely covered by the liquid.

noticed same, I was more careful with next jar but got the same white fuzzies after a few days.

switched brands - and to experiment,,, after removing a few I top off the liquid with cider vinegar - working so far...

I was thinking of topping off the red peppers with evoo (like above) Then use it as a salad dressing. What do you all think?

Last edited:
If they're moldy, they're not safe to eat. Adding evoo won't change that.

lol I certainly did not mean to add the evoo to them if they were moldy. I was referring to any that we may buy in the future, It does read like I was going to do it to the bad jar. lol

Last edited:
BTW... Mezzetta specifically states "Roasted Bell Peppers are not pickled with vinegar as most of our other products, and we avoid using preservatives whenever possible, it will not have an extended shelf life once opened and refrigerated. We recommend that you use the peppers within seven days after opening or transfer them to a container for freezing. This information is provided on our labels."

lol I certainly did not mean to add the evoo to them if they were moldy. I was referring to any that we may buy in the future, It does read like I was going to do it to the bad jar. lol
I thought it was kind of a weird thing to say [emoji38] I was sure you knew better ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom