Labels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookiecrafter

Senior Cook
I am wanting to label our recent canning. I'm wanting a large label on the front. I'm wanting an expiration label too. Should I add any other information on a label on the back?

All I can think of is if you have the same contents with different spices (or whatever) I would also add, Batch 1, Batch 2 (or a/b)
I usually do that, when I go back over my notes I'll see ... OK, this is the batch that I did excellent timing on - or - timing went over... or had to make extra "**" to top up the jar.

Are these labels for you or for others or resale?
I'm labeling just for us.
I use a removable label. I label it the type of fruit for instance, and H if honey is added and S if there is any sugar added. So the label says raspberries + H, or just raspberries/strawberries (if combined). I put the year '22 on the label. Beans, potatoes, sauce (for tomato sauce), thin sauce, thick sauce, diced tomatoes, corn.

The labels I use I put all the info on one, and they are those type that literally "wash off", yet they don't come off on their own, even after a long time (though I don't use those on the dried beans, grains, and the like). If you have a large label, you should be able to put all the info on it. I can see wanting another label on the back, if giving a jar away as a gift, but not for those on my shelves - I want all that info in quick view.

If you're labeling them for sale, your state's cottage food law probably specifies what should appear on the label.

If they're for yourself, put the contents or list the ingredients, and add the date made and the expiration date.

Thanks for all the information. I guess with home canning you can use whatever information works for you.

Instead of starting a new thread, these labels save me a lot of time going from canned to refrigerator, or finding things in the freezer.
I start by labeling the canning jars on the side. They stick to glass.
When they go in the fridge, I move the label to the top. They stick to plastic lids.
labels-003.jpg

When they go into the freezer, I also put a label on the top. They stick to plastic containers.
labels-005.jpg

labels-004.jpg

The labels are big so I cut them in half or even smaller. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BFKB6CX/
labels-001.jpg

Bliss, those look like the ones my DH bought. I never thought of moving them. I just liked that they were easy to take off once the jar was empty. I hate fighting with labels to get them off. I hate even worse to have bits of an old label still stuck on a jar.

I like the idea of moving the labels to the best position to read them, depending on where they are being stored.

LOL, if everything in the fridge or freezer is sitting in puddles, I'm pretty sure by that time, you would be tossing them out anyhow. So it wouldn't matter, no?
But I agree, they look rather interesting. And you say they are transferable? As in from side of jar to top?

<<And you say they are transferable? As in from side of jar to top?>>

I've never tried. I use them on homemade salad dressings, mostly. They can get oily without falling apart. It does talk a minute or so of water, before they start to disintegrate...then they go quick.

Back
Top Bottom