Nanaimo Disappointment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I substituted chopped hazelnuts for almonds or walnuts into my Nanaimo bar recipe, expecting a wonderful taste change. I used the same amount of hazelnuts as was called for in the recipe. I also replaced semi-sweet chocolate with Ghiradeli dark chocolate for the top. They still tasted like the Nanaimo bars we all know and love, but no different, except for a little richer chocolate flavor due to the dark chocolate. I couldn't even tell the hazelnuts were there.:( I was looking for that wonderful hazelnut/chocolate flavor. I might have to use Nutella in the center layer, mixed with egg to make a Nutella custard.

Any ideas?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Did you try roasting the hazelnuts first? I know you know this but just a reminder...that brings out the flavor bigtime ;)

Is that how they take perfectly good hazelnuts and make that awful flavour that's found in Ferrero Rocher and Nutella? I thought it was something that happened when they got ground into a paste.

taxlady, you're being sacreligious! Nutella's flavor is very nearly perfect!

Goodweed, I don't think you are going to be able to bring out a hazelnut flavor unless you change the custard layer. If you make that layer more of a nutella type layer you will get the flavor you desire, but otherwise I think the custard will overwhelm the more delicate flavor of the hazelnuts.

Have to admit that I've never ever heard of a Nanaimo Bar and had to look it up. Sounds wonderful. Nutella sounds like a perfect addition.

Instead of trying to figure out a substitution why not just spread a thin layer of Nutella on top of the bottom layer before adding the butter-cream / custard layer.

Have to admit that I've never ever heard of a Nanaimo Bar and had to look it up. Sounds wonderful. Nutella sounds like a perfect addition.

Instead of trying to figure out a substitution why not just spread a thin layer of Nutella on top of the bottom layer before adding the butter-cream / custard layer.

That sounds like a winning idea. I just hope the Nuttela has enough body to not squish out when the bar is bit into. That would make it a great tasting, but messy dessert bar.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That sounds like a winning idea. I just hope the Nuttela has enough body to not squish out when the bar is bit into. That would make it a great tasting, but messy dessert bar.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you are not wearing it, you are not having any fun!!!! (says she who wore a bib to eat lunch today):LOL:

I live west of Nanaimo , I always call them Duncan bars just to irritate folks. I think the originals did actually come from Duncan ,British Columbia . continent of Vancouver Island. I don't care for most of them as the butter cream is often poorly made ,I can tolerate chocolate however ,in nearly any form . We grow hazelnuts around here and I have a few trees in my garden.
Sub'ing hazelnut flavour in the centre layer might work for me ,think I'll work on that.
Buttertarts are my forte ( no nuts ) I know someone with allergy to nuts ,I more than double up on the currants to compensate and people like that

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom