Ruby Tuesday in the Kitchen 8/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Adobo Drumsticks, Red Beans & Rice, Lefty Corn reborn as Succotash, and a Grape Tomato Salad (Grapes, Chopped Celery, Onion and Jalapeno)...

Salad, Grape Tomato.jpg

Chicken Drumsticks, adobo .jpg

I have a migraine, so DH nuked the fresh chorizo sausages that he grilled on Saturday and we had on buns with condiments, including sauerkraut. The last of the potato salad and most of the pasta salad got eaten too.

Shrimp pad thai tonight. Realized too late that I didn't have any scallions so it looks a little pale. Also, put way too much on my plate and returned some to the pot before I ate.

Attachments

• A7E24DDF-1902-4692-ADA5-38F0B2C3100F_1_201_a.jpg
    A7E24DDF-1902-4692-ADA5-38F0B2C3100F_1_201_a.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 82
My challenge this summer has been to reduce waste in the kitchen. One of the ways I am doing this is to "shop my fridge" before considering other options. I had a few ears of corn that were looking a bit sad, and I had leftover green beans with potatoes from last night. In the freezer, I had found a package of beautiful looking bone-in pork chops. So I marinaded them all day before grilling the chops. The corn was turned into skillet creamed corn, and dinner was done once the string beans were reheated. Dessert was leftover peach pie.

Attachments

• 2020-08-11 18.26.31.jpg
    2020-08-11 18.26.31.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 61
That is a pretty piece of pork, Kathleen.

I know I made taco salads just a couple of weeks ago, but we had them again tonight. So good, but now we're waiting for them to settle so we can have dessert. Like Kathleen, I rescued some not pretty but certainly edible produce from the fridge. I made a cobbler with some tired peaches, nectarines, cherries, blueberries... and one lonely plum that has been on the counter and still wasn't completely ripe. Looking forward to some with vanilla ice cream later... much later.

IMG_20200811_213446639_HDR.jpgIMG_20200811_213254974_HDR.jpg

I had rotisserie chicken, salad with grape tomatoes dressed with lemon juice and grated Italian cheeses.

Also had a grapefruit beer.

That is a pretty piece of pork, Kathleen.

I know I made taco salads just a couple of weeks ago, but we had them again tonight. So good, but now we're waiting for them to settle so we can have dessert. Like Kathleen, I rescued some not pretty but certainly edible produce from the fridge. I made a cobbler with some tired peaches, nectarines, cherries, blueberries... and one lonely plum that has been on the counter and still wasn't completely ripe. Looking forward to some with vanilla ice cream later... much later.

View attachment 42421View attachment 42422

Thanks! They were picture-perfect, but on the dry-side. I wish I could find pork chops with a bit of marbling.

With gardens providing bounty, we had BLTs using fresh homemade bread, bacon slabs and the usual suspects. Both of us had 2 sandwiches and were more than satisfied. But....sooooo yummy. The taste of summer.
Katie, have you ever tried mixing julienned basil with the mayo? Delish! [emoji39]

Thanks! They were picture-perfect, but on the dry-side. I wish I could find pork chops with a bit of marbling.
What temperature are you cooking them to? Modern pork very rarely contains trichinosis bacteria, so it only needs to be cooked to 140 and rested so it reaches 145-150.

What temperature are you cooking them to? Modern pork very rarely contains trichinosis bacteria, so it only needs to be cooked to 140 and rested so it reaches 145-150.

I confess that I do cook them higher than that. Pulling them at 165. I get weird about pink in pork. Old habits die hard. :neutral:

I learned to love less cooked pork when I lived in Denmark in the early 1970s. By then, there hadn't been any trichina detected in pork for over a hundred years. And, they were really picky about bringing meat into Denmark and maintaining the testing at the farms and abattoirs.

Back
Top Bottom