Sunday Dinner - 3/26/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skinny asparagus for us. We like to grill them in a grill pan with olive oil and S and P, then bundle 3 or 4 together and wrap with prosciutto, then drizzle a vinaigrette made with lemon juice and shave some patm over as part of an antipasto.

I oil and season with S&P, and grill mine, too. I don't wrap them in any meats, though. I call them my "healthy french fries." Yes, I eat them with my fingers. :yum:

CD

I always check the Manager's Special case at Kroger. I've never bought the pre-seasoned meats, and only score about one out of three times, but I've gotten some good stuff for cheap, on occasion.
My Kroger's reduces the prices to 60% on the last day, Von's reduces them to 50%. Furthermore my local Von's almost always has better than the junk cuts they have at Kroger's. Of course that is subject to regional differences.

I find myself buying 80% of my last day manager's specials at Von's because of the better deal and better selection. Of course on some days there is no selection at either store.

My two markets are less than a mile apart. I often visit both on shopping day.

As I said I am loathe to buy pre-seasoned meats, but tonight's bargain was okay. Probably spent about $3 on dinner. (Almost) fresh food at fast food prices. At least I ate real ingredients (pork, Brussel's sprouts, jasmine rice) instead of fast food junk.

Last edited:
DH has requested Sloppy Joe's, Potato Chips, Pickles and Root Beer (Ice Cream later for dessert).

I think I'd like to go over to Craig and Med's house for a Cuban feast... that sounds just amazing Craig!

003.JPG

My follow-through, YUM!

Nice meals and pics, guys!

I'm pleased to announce that I didn't flambée my kitchen this time. However, DH's listening skills need improvement. After I carefully explained how important it is to let a steak rest after cooking, he immediately carved his half off and ate it with gusto. And I'm looking down at all the juices. Sigh.

When I finished frying my wings, and was letting them rest, just for grins I tossed a few spears of my skinny asparagus into the 375-degree oil. Within about 15 seconds, they were floating, so I took them out, sprinkled them with a little salt and pepper, and they were really good. They were perfectly cooked -- hot all the way through, but still a bit crunchy.

Anyone else ever done this?

Once again, I found a way to make a vegetable unhealthy. LOL

CD

If you wanted unhealthy, CD, you should have wrapped a strip of bacon around a couple of those aspergrass sticks. :LOL:

...DH's listening skills need improvement...
Yours, too? :huh: I swear the first wife who invents a Listening Aid, as opposed to Hearing Aid, will make herself a gazillionaire.

The soup, which was a little-of-this-and-some-of-that recipe mash-up, was really really good. I hope I can duplicate it the next time I want to make it. I really wanted to post a photo, but I seem to have completely mucked up whatever Dropbox location DC pulls from. I can find photos elsewhere, but not the folder that DC wants. Tech Support, AKA Himself, will need to help me when I think of this earlier in the day.

Last edited:
I have a London broil marinating in Italian dressing made with red wine vinegar and some asparagus hanging out in the fridge. I'll sear the beef in the cast iron skillet and roast the asparagus in the toaster oven. I also have one big red potato; I'll probably "bake" it in the microwave.
Steak and potatoes and asparagus, oh my! And yes, I love my steak sauce! Reminds me of learning how to cook a steak from my dad :wub:0326172000_HDR.jpg

Yours, too? :huh: I swear the first wife who invents a Listening Aid, as opposed to Hearing Aid, will make herself a gazillionaire.

And, the first man who invents a "wife translator" that shortens what a woman says from 300 words to 30 words that mean the exact same thing, will also be a gazillionaire.

CD:D

And, the first man who invents a "wife translator" that shortens what a woman says from 300 words to 30 words that mean the exact same thing, will also be a gazillionaire. :D
They already have that. It's called, "taking the battery out of your hearing aid."

Also the universal answer is, "Yes, dear." :LOL:

Don't forget to toss in a "you're right, dear" every now and then Greg. ;)

And, the first man who invents a "wife translator" that shortens what a woman says from 300 words to 30 words that mean the exact same thing, will also be a gazillionaire...
Oh yeah. But have you heard this joke?:
Why does a woman say twice as many words as a man? It's because the man is never listening the first time and she has to repeat herself. :-p

I tell my darling hubby that women, as a rule, can't be called nags if the man in the relationship doesn't respond to a request the first three times he's asked nicely. :LOL: By the fourth request, all bets are off.

BTW, how long as each of you two guys been married? As much as I might tease about Himself, we're each the only spouse the other has had and we celebrated 37 years of wedded bliss after getting married in 1974. ;) Do the math...

And, the first man who invents a "wife translator" that shortens what a woman says from 300 words to 30 words that mean the exact same thing, will also be a gazillionaire.

CD:D

Hm. CD, tell that to my DH. He can mansplain in 300 words or more what I just said in 20 words or less. Maybe I need to pretend I have a hearing aid.

My best ploy was the old, "Hey honey, Macy's is having a shoe sale." With driving time, that gave me about an hour to do my stuff uninterrupted. More time than that if Macy's really was having a shoe sale. :)
Like if I were married and I'd expect some verbal faux pas to give wifey an excuse to buy a new pair of Louboutin shoes? I may be a man but I understand the danger of a woman with a credit card and taste for Louboutin shoes. You can easily go over $1K without hardly trying, for just one pair of shoes!!! :ohmy:

I'd rather take the 5th Amendment and refuse to speak without an attorney representing me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom