Supper Wednesday 2023 May 03

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
No supper thread yet?

I finally got around to cooking that new-to-me Danish dish, gode ben. It's braised pork ribs (could be other meaty bones). Unfortunately, DH did not enjoy that. He really doesn't like fatty meat or bones. I, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll be making this in the future, when DH has other dinner plans. I served it with leftover Greek potatoes, rødkål (Danish, pickled, red cabbage), and pickles.

Gode ben (Danish braised ribs)  and pickles cropped.jpgGode ben (Danish braised ribs), roast potato, rødkål, and a pickle.jpgGode ben (Danish braised ribs), roast potatoes, rødkål, and pickles.jpg

I was wondering about that too! I've been one not cooking a lot lately, being busy with the garden, but I made something today that I was getting a craving for. I made a curry, with some chicken, about 6 oz of cremini mushrooms, some red chori beans (to empty the jar), about 1/2 c oat groats, and 1/2 c channa dal, plus about 1/3 c masoor dal, to thicken it some. I started with a chopped onion in a little oil, and when getting golden, added a tb of garlic, and cooked briefly, before adding the quartered creminis, and the diced chicken. I cooked on med-high for about 3 minutes, then added 3 tb of that malvini masala powder I made recently, about 10 curry leaves, and cooked that briefly, to bloom the flavors, then added water, the oats, and the legumes. I adjusted the salt, then simmered on low for about 30 minutes, added a half tb of garam masala, and simmered a few minutes, while I made the tarka, for the tempering. For this, I heated a tb of oil, and added 2 tsp mustard seed, and when they started cracking some, I stirred in 2 tsp cumin seeds, and 8 dried Thai peppers, swirled them until the peppers started browning some, then added a tsp of asafoetida and 10 more curry leaves. I stirred that around, off the heat, then added it to the curry. It was too late to make any flatbreads, but I'll make some, for the leftovers, which I have about 2 qts of.
A curry made with that Malvini masala powder, and some garam masala at the end. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Stuffed shells from freezer. Was supposed to have some garlic shrimp but they didn't make it into a pan so guess they will b e lunch or something today.

Lost the cute visual effect of having the shells in their own CI pan - I guess when I froze them they spread their square shape and wouldn't fit back in the pan LOL - shucky darns

but not to worry! didn't affect their taste! (other than maybe I should have added some cheese)

20230420_175844.jpg
(picture from original bake.)

The bee place mr bliss is working at (he's retired, this is for seasonal fun), gave us a 25 lb bag of vidalia onions. I sliced the onions into three slices, separated some into 2 layers some 1 layer some 3 layer rings. Battered them in ww flour with onion vinegar tomato sauce and water, then dipped in ww bread crumbs. Baked on parchment for about an hour at 350 deg F. Two big half sheet pans of them. We ate them with ketchup and caesar dressing. They were sweet and delicious. I'll give it a day or two and we'll do that again!

The bee place mr bliss is working at (he's retired, this is for seasonal fun), gave us a 25 lb bag of vidalia onions. I sliced the onions into three slices, separated some into 2 layers some 1 layer some 3 layer rings. Battered them in ww flour with onion vinegar tomato sauce and water, then dipped in ww bread crumbs. Baked on parchment for about an hour at 350 deg F. Two big half sheet pans of them. We ate them with ketchup and caesar dressing. They were sweet and delicious. I'll give it a day or two and we'll do that again!
Try an onion sandwich!

Good bread, butter or mayonnaise and thin slices of crunchy Vidalia onions.

If you don’t use butter or mayonnaise then a refrigerator pickle of vinegar and brown sugar or honey will work. Add some sliced cucumber and tomato. 🐷🐷🐷

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom