Tomatoes TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I, too, am a tomato freak. And I know it will sound silly to some, but the earth makes a big difference. We've lived a lot of places, and I've always tried to grow tomatoes. But, as my husband says, other places have dirt, the Midwest has earth and soil. And the tomatoes reflect that. But then, the season is so short. But I can't wait for July and our first Early Girls! To me there are a few favorite tomato meals:

Plain old BLTs
Tomato, mozzerella and basil salad. Don't know why? Seriously, anywhere I've lived tomatoes and basil never are at peak at the same time. The basil dies before the tomatoes ripen, so I wind up buying it at the grocery store.
Tomatoes chopped and tossed with olive oil and angel hair and whatever herbs are in season.
A favorite for me is bread, cheese and sliced tomato under the broiler.
A favorite when I was little and lived in Germany, was a simple tomato, white bread, and miracle whip sandwich.

I, too, am a tomato freak. And I know it will sound silly to some, but the earth makes a big difference. We've lived a lot of places, and I've always tried to grow tomatoes. But, as my husband says, other places have dirt, the Midwest has earth and soil. And the tomatoes reflect that. But then, the season is so short. But I can't wait for July and our first Early Girls! To me there are a few favorite tomato meals:

Plain old BLTs
Tomato, mozzerella and basil salad. Don't know why? Seriously, anywhere I've lived tomatoes and basil never are at peak at the same time. The basil dies before the tomatoes ripen, so I wind up buying it at the grocery store.
Tomatoes chopped and tossed with olive oil and angel hair and whatever herbs are in season.
A favorite for me is bread, cheese and sliced tomato under the broiler.
A favorite when I was little and lived in Germany, was a simple tomato, white bread, and miracle whip sandwich.
Claire.
I love simple things whem I eat. salt and pepper Miracle whip, plain mayo and a nice mustard, Of course a sauce made from scratch with butter, fresh mushrooms garlic , onions homemade pasta is the best in the world. Hang on to the old recipes they will always keep you on the straight and narrow.
kadesma

Last edited:
Seriously, anywhere I've lived tomatoes and basil never are at peak at the same time. The basil dies before the tomatoes ripen, so I wind up buying it at the grocery store.

Try growing some Greek Basil. Mine is in a pot in the living room and still going strong from last year!

I've never seen Greek Basil...I'll have to stop at the nursery that has the best selection of herbs next time I drive in to Ottawa...

I've never seen Greek Basil...I'll have to stop at the nursery that has the best selection of herbs next time I drive in to Ottawa...

I got a pot of the basil, one of parsley, and one of rosemary for $5 last year at Mourelatos, a Greek owned grocery store. I think there are two stores in the "chain". :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom