TV dinner problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
when I got home with my frozen tv dinner instructions said use a microwave but I don't have one. Would the oven be the solution?

TV Dinners were originally intended to heat in the oven. Does the package have oven heating instructions?

Many of the new style prepared dinners are in paper or plastic trays whch are not oven-safe. If that is the case, transfer the food to an oven-safe dish before cooking. From there, it's not rocket science. Just use moderate heat until it's heated through. That would probably be 350-375 for 20-30-40 minutes from frozen (depending on the density of the food). If it's not ready, just put it back for 10 minutes at a time until it's heated.

Remember that a solid block of frozen food (like lasagne) takes longer to reheat than something loose (like veggie stir fry). Most (not all) tv dinners are already cooked, so you are just thawing and reheating them. You really can't screw it up - just heat and remove when hot.

In addition to above advice. Cover the dish with foil. Be sure to flip meat, stir veggies and potatoes/rice halfway through cooking. If it has a brownie, leave uncovered and only cook half the time, or until it looks firm and cooked through then remove brownie from oven.

Last edited:
The oven is a great solution! I've been in a similar situation before, and the oven worked perfectly. Just follow the instructions on the packaging for temperature and cooking time. It might take a bit longer than a microwave, but the result is usually much better with a crispier texture. Plus, it's a versatile option for reheating or cooking various frozen meals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom