Using older lids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
A friend gave me 2 boxes of kerr jars that are about 25 years old. The boxes were unopened with their original lids. The sealing ring is a grey material instead of the reddish stuff that I'm accustomed to. Is it okay to use these lids? Will they seal properly?​

A friend gave me 2 boxes of kerr jars that are about 25 years old. The boxes were unopened with their original lids. The sealing ring is a grey material instead of the reddish stuff that I'm accustomed to. Is it okay to use these lids? Will they seal properly?​

Replace the sealing rings the rest should be okay.

Actually the flat lids may be fine, if the rubber seal is still viable. I've bought many from estate sales where the boxes were stored in sheds and they worked fine.

Test by warming up a couple of them and put on jars filled with water and process. See how they hold up. If they fail chances are the rest are bad too since they were stored together....and vice versa.

I like mcnerd's idea. I think they are fine, as long as they aren't stuck together, but trying them out is a good idea.

And the rings will last a lot longer than the new ones, which rust as soon as you look at them. :glare:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom