Very mild tuna seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DynV

Assistant Cook
Most of the time I don't use seasoning, the flavor come from the ingredients, or I eat something bland. I've been making myself mayo-tuna sandwiches and, even if I'm enjoying them, I find myself wondering what--very mild--seasoning could make the experience more enjoyable. Perhaps something that would counteract the tuna bitterness?

Thank you

I put in the thread name and underlined in the OP something, perhaps it was unclear, let me try this way:
Could someone suggest me something VERY MILD to add to tuna & mayo?

Thanks

A little onion powder, a little garlic powder, salt and a couple teaspoons of lemon juice will give it mild flavor. If you don't like onion or garlic powder, just use salt and lemon juice.

Finely chopped celery and/or a small dash of fresh lemon juice.

Although I do think sweet relish is a must.

As a kid my best friends mom took us to the beach regularly. She always packed a lunch for us.
Most of the time it was just canned tuna and mayo on store bought white bread.
To this day it seems her sandwiches were better than anything I can come up with today. They were simple but good.
I'm certain the tuna was packed in oil in those days and I only buy tuna packed in olive oil.
But I do add the traditional ingredients. A little minced onion, celery, sweet relish and mayo. Never eggs. Of course I do season with some salt and pepper.

I think I'm going to try just mayo and see if I can bring those days back in a small way.
But I highly doubt I can re-create the beach atmosphere and the little sandwiches she had cut up for us in her bag.
She was my best friends mom and he was killed at 13.

1898639_orig.jpg

I use chopped scallions and chopped celery. If scallions are too strong a flavour for you, then chopped chives would be a milder substitute.

I usually add soffritto; a finely chopped raw mixture of 2 parts red onion, 1 part carrot and 1 part celery, to my tuna salad. Not too much, maybe a tablespoon of the mixture per small can of tuna.

I usually add soffritto; a finely chopped raw mixture of 2 parts red onion, 1 part carrot and 1 part celery
I was wondering if you'd also suggest me raw onion for something very mild, which I find... difficult to conciliate. A tiny bit of research yielded Soffritto Recipe, the Italian way - The clever meal, which contained

Soffritto requires the same ingredients, but the vegetables are finely minced or diced in small pieces, never in chunks. Then they’re cooked slowly until golden or caramelized and are part of the final dish.
and that look :yum:

Ok… this may seem a bit odd, but the last time we did a group foodie retreat we made a traditional tuna salad, but instead of onion and relish (as there was none on hand) we added finely diced apple (think they were honeycrisps) and cheddar cheese. The results were surprisingly delicious.

Most of the time I don't use seasoning, the flavor come from the ingredients, or I eat something bland. I've been making myself mayo-tuna sandwiches and, even if I'm enjoying them, I find myself wondering what--very mild--seasoning could make the experience more enjoyable. Perhaps something that would counteract the tuna bitterness?

Thank you

Very Mild is a subjective thing. What is mild to me can be overpowering to another. It depends on what you are used to, and how your tongue is built. It also depends on how much of a spice, or herb you use.

If onion is too strong for you, blend the onion and add just a bit, or maybe choose a sweeter onion variety, such as a large Vidalia or white, sweet onion. If dill or sweet pickle relish is too strong, add a little dill weed, or a tsp of pickle juice. Miracle Whip will counteract any bitterness in your tuna. Also, tuna is not normally bitter. Try changing brands, or go with the tuna that comes in pouches. It sounds like you have a sensitivity to bitter flavors, as does my wife. Bitter comes from alkaline ingredients such as baking soda. Sour comes from acidic ingredients such as lemon juice, vinegar, etc. Adding a small amount of acid (mayo, lemon juice, lime juice, salad dressing) will neutralize the bitter.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom