"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chocolate chip cookie question...

I just made my first batch of chocolate chip cookies, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to turn out the way they did. The cookies came out thick the way I wanted them too..not too much spreading. But when I bite into one, I get a crispy exterior, but then the middle is chewy. Should a chewy cookie be chewy all the way through? Also, there was slight browning of the outside of the cookie...imagine that the surface of the cookie is mountain peaks and valleys...the peaks have some slight browning, but not the valleys...so the cookie isn't a uniform color.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Congrats on your first batch, cipher!

First and foremost, please give us your recipe you used, so we can troubleshoot your dilema

Old 01-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Sounds like the rising agent (baking powder and/or baking soda) could possibly be to blame for the faults that you mentioned, though I think they still sound pretty tasty

A big welcome to DC, cipher

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Ditto all the above!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

You can test your baking powder by adding a teaspoon to a glass of room temp or warm water...if it fizzes or bubbles, it's still fresh.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
Sounds like the rising agent (baking powder and/or baking soda) could possibly be to blame for the faults that you mentioned, though I think they still sound pretty tasty

A big welcome to DC, cipher
Thanks. This morning I brought my batch of cookies to work and my co-workers practically inhaled them. Almost everyone came back for seconds and several wanted to take some cookies home with them. I guess they did turn out and their appearance seemed to change (for the better) as they cooled overnight.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Sounds like you baked your first batch of cookies just right then. Congrats! I've always thought that if they taste great, shape, peaks and valleys don't matter.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
Master Chef

Congrats for what sounds like a perfect CCC to me! I love them thick and chewy.

Browning is partially a matter of baking time, but also ingredients. Using your recipe - another minute or two in the oven would have made them darker. Spread (thick or thin) and crisp or chewy is a matter ingredients. By tinkering around with the basic recipe you can get thin and crisp, puffed and slightly crisp, or thick and chewy.

You can change the texture of your cookie in several ways - the fat, moisture, sugar, etc. Alton Brown did a good episode on this - Three Chips for Sister Marsha - look at the recipes for The Thin, The Puffy, and The Chewy and compare them to see how subtle changes can drastically change your results. If you have a copy of Shirley Corriher's CookWise you can also find a similar discussion on pages 128-132 but in a little more detail explaining how different ingredients behave.

Like jkath - I would love to know your recipe.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

My sister gave me the recipe:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks of butter (melted)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup regular sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Senior Cook

sounds good to me. you can always send them over here and i can taste test them for you. heehee

Tags
None