ekactiurF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what was pixxing me off. Once I had it in my head that it was an acronym, I never thought to look for an anagram. I love anagrams too!

That's what was pixxing me off. Once I had it in my head that it was an acronym, I never thought to look for an anagram. I love anagrams too!

Funny how something can slip you by if you don't know in which direction to think :LOL:

I've started a new thread with food anagrams if you want to play along :)

>> why can't you talk about it?

check the replies (g) making X's can get one thrown out of the neighborhood!

I've been using one as a doorstop for the last 10 years...still looks just as fresh as the first time I saw it.

My best girlfriend had a neighbor she called "the cat lady". She was a nice enough lady, but the woman lived in a filthy house with more cats than she could count. Ugh! :sick: Anyway, every year the cat lady would make fruitcakes for all the neighbors, and my girlfriend would "regift" the cake to her S.O.B. boss. :ohmy::ROFLMAO:

when this thread was first posted over a year ago, a few people didn't realize that the title was 'fruitcake' spelled backwards. other members were reminded that they like anagram puzzles, and as a result, snip initiated the foodie anagrams game which we still play at dc today.

but the central question of this fruitcake thread was never answered, or even addressed. the question was this: what is it about fruitcake that causes it to be taboo as a subject for open discussion? and, secondarily perhaps, what about the taste of fruitcake is so objectionable that it elicits such unmitigated hostility and disgust from some of its detractors....

care to give this fruitcake controversy another look in 2012 with christmas one short month away?

Last edited:
It's become fashionable to trash fruitcakes. There are always holiday jokes about how heavy, hard, awful they are (see PF's doorstop comment). I happen to like them. I've never made one but I have a recipe or two to try this year.

Oh I love fruitcake .. any of you who have unwanted fruitcake can send them here !!

I have had fruitcake that was just awful. I have also had some store bought fruit cake that was so good that it was hard to stop eating it before getting ill, never mind stuffed. :LOL:

I have had fruitcake that was just awful. I have also had some store bought fruit cake that was so good that it was hard to stop eating it before getting ill, never mind stuffed. :LOL:

so, where does one go to find the second kind of fruitcake you described, tl? how does one differentiate between the awful and the sublime in a fruitcake?

so, where does one go to find the second kind of fruitcake you described, tl? how does one differentiate between the awful and the sublime in a fruitcake?
I have no idea. And that wonderful one, a friend gave it to me.

Edit: I think the wonderful one was from a small bakery.

Last edited:
I still haven't had the time to fix CWS White Fruitcake...gotta carve the time out somewhere.

Today I bought a Balfours iced fruit cake...YUM!!

Balfours is a big cake making company over here and they make some delicious things...love their mince pies too but we are making our own this year.

Have not tried their fruit cake before but love the wedding cake icing they have on top of it...YUM!!

if I could be sure of getting the "good" kind of fruitcake, I would buy one again. the few times I tasted a good fruitcake, they were home baked ones. i'm not likely to ever try making my own--Christmas cookies is about as far as i'm willing to go...oh wow, lenny kravitz is still hot, isn't he....

huh, how about that--my new computer, twinkie, automatically inserts capital letters where I have omitted them--cool....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom