My First Bake Sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH came to collect me and my remaining things and I promptly went to bed,
where I stayed until this morning! :ROFLMAO:

Poor DH got no meals yesterday, so I'm making up for it today.

:LOL: You mean he didn't starve Kgirl??? I bet he hasn't said any more about his idea for you to do this professionally. :ROFLMAO:

Happy that your sale and day went so well, K-Girl.. :)

I understand reluctance with doing the sale circuit. I had to just let it go to keep my hobby from becoming a job too.. Do what is good for you and yours..

Ross

Congrats Kgirl! I had a girlfriend who did breads and things like preserves at a farmer's market. Basically in Florida, it's ready to eat items that don't require refrigeration or further cooking that can be sold by a home-based person. She did pretty well, but treated it exactly like a real business and watched every penny. That meant only making very profitable items, which were not necessarily the most fun to make, and yes it was quite a commitment.

Last edited:
:LOL: You mean he didn't starve Kgirl??? I bet he hasn't said any more about his idea for you to do this professionally. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, he ate, he went to McD's and loved every bite :LOL:
as to "going back to work", he's been bugging me for the past 10 years!

Happy that your sale and day went so well, K-Girl.. :)

I understand reluctance with doing the sale circuit. I had to just let it go to keep my hobby from becoming a job too.. Do what is good for you and yours..

Ross

Mahalo, thank you Ross. Yeah, not too sure I want that big of a commitment. I did have several people ask me if I would take orders... :huh: Um, yeah I guess, email me. I had the foresight to print out some "calling cards" of sort with my name, address, email and all of the social media sites to follow me on and passed them out with each purchase ;)

Congrats Kgirl! I had a girlfriend who did breads and things like preserves at a farmer's market. Basically in Florida, it's ready to eat items that don't require refrigeration or further cooking that can be sold by a home-based person. She did pretty well, but treated it exactly like a real business and watched every penny. That meant only making very profitable items, which were not necessarily the most fun to make, and yes it was quite a commitment.

Y'know med, I mentioned my jams to DH for sale IF I did the Farmers Markets and the Fairs and he thought that those would definitely not sell... I don't know, I saw a gal with jams, jellies and spreads... but nothing SUGAR FREE, which I already make for my Mother :chef:

She'd make smaller bread loaves and the tiny jars of preserves as she could charge smaller $ for them. She found that people were more willing to pay for smaller amounts for less product than bigger amounts for more, even if it cost them more in the end. She and I actually had a discussion about it when she was setting her prices and sizes, and that was my feeling, which turned out to be right. She also put out samples for people to try.

Last edited:
She'd make smaller bread loaves and the tiny jars of preserves as she could charge smaller $ for them. She found that people were more willing to pay for smaller amounts for less product than bigger amounts for more, even if it cost them more in the end. She and I actually had a discussion about it when she was setting her prices and sizes, and that was my feeling, which turned out to be right. She also put out samples for people to try.

This is exactly the discussing DH and I had and he felt so strong that smaller isn't better, but I beg to differ.
The items that I couldn't sell were the larger, more expensive items... :ermm::ohmy::rolleyes::LOL: as I told him, samples and smaller prices.
One lady tried to dicker me down on one of my Rum Cakes that I priced at $8, she said "I have a five and a twenty, if I break the twenty, I'll spend it". I told her she could buy more than one item off my table and break her twenty, I had change ... she wasn't amused. :D

Last edited:
Nicely done! Kudos and congratulations, K-Girl.

Tell DH that if he wants you to do this as a business, you'll bake as long as he does all of the packaging, as well as accounting and supply acquisition. IF he can be trusted to do the shopping, that is. :LOL:

Nicely done! Kudos and congratulations, K-Girl.

Tell DH that if he wants you to do this as a business, you'll bake as long as he does all of the packaging, as well as accounting and supply acquisition. IF he can be trusted to do the shopping, that is. :LOL:

Thanks CG. DH is already our "company's" aka household's CFO (Chief Financial Office)while I'm the COO (Chief Operational Officer). Don't about Acquisitions though :LOL: I take care of that part, oh and maybe not the packaging either, I think he'd just wrap it in tin foil and call it a day. :rolleyes:

Everything looks delicious. The bonus is that you had a good time doing it. Congratulations!

I appreciate that Andy!

Back
Top Bottom