Why are the sides of my baked bread loaf imploding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I made a loaf of bread today. Whole wheat/ low carb. All was going well. I took it out of the oven, after the required baking time. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes ( as instructed). Then I removed it from the loaf pan to allow it to finish cooling on the wire rack. I noticed all 4 sides imploding ( close to a centimeter in depth). The top and bottom looks normal, just the sides ( both the long sides and the end sides). I haven't cut it open yet, needs to have cooled a bit more. Honestly, I don't care that it is slightly deformed, just curious why. I can make a few educated guesses, but curious what all you people who bake a lot more than I do think. Ill post pics when I can.

That seems strange to me.

If it’s fully cooked, it may have been over proofed in the final rise.

I’m not sure what structural changes a low carb loaf recipe would have compared to a conventional loaf.

I would head for King Arthur and try to compare your recipe to a TNT recipe.

I was once told to lay the loaf on it's side once out of the pan and cooling. It was to prevent just that. I don't always do it, but if I think the top crust is perhaps a little heavier or higher than normal, I do.

It was originally when I was making some Oatmeal bread and I think it was pretty dense, which is another reason you might want to try it.

The consistency was perfect, the crust was nice , probably the best all around crust I've ever had. Oh, and it tasted good too. I rarely make bread in a loaf pan, so this is all new to me. Personally I dont care, Im more curious. The longer sides were more indented than the ends. the top and bottom were not affected at all.

Attachments

• Bread 1 .png
    Bread 1 .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Bread 3 .png
    Bread 3 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Bread 2.png
    Bread 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Did you leave the loaf in the pan to cool? Moisture (steam) can be trapped. Also, do you take a reading with a thermometer for doneness?

Only for the 10 minutes as instructed in the recipe, after that I got it on a wire rack.
Did it appeared collapsed as soon as you removed them from the pans? Hard to say Larry, you mentioned the pan was something you generally never used, so that was just a guess, too much excess water in the recipe or not fully cooked would just be another guess. Anyway, enjoy the bread.

Primarily regular whole wheat flour, vital wheat gluten flour and Psyllium husks. In addition. I've used all before separately, but never in a combined recipe.. Liquid was Soy milk, olive oil and there was yeast and salt as well.

It did appear collated pretty much immediately when I took it out. came right out, not sticking to the pan at all.

If it wasnt for the collapsing sides, I'd consider it just about perfect ( in consistency , uniform doneness of the crust and taste .

Usually I make free form breads ( not that make bread that often).

To me, it seems just a little wet. Maybe make it a little dryer so it is tougher when you are kneading. Bake it a little longer too. (5-8 minutes longer) My loaf pan bread can go for 40 minutes at 350 deg F.

IT could b that the loaf should have stayed in the pan longer. After being removed from the oven, bread needs to rest for a bit to allow the structure to firm up. It could be that the 10 minutes wasn't long enough. I agree that otherwise it looks perfect.

I'm wondering if the method you used to shape the loaf before putting it in the pan could have made a difference.

Dough was needed ( by machine ) for 10 minutes . I actually added extra flour than the recipe called for, cause it seemed a little wet. After Kneading, let rise for 45 minutes ( which it did). then instructed to shape into a 7 inch square, and roll up to log shaped. Tuck the ends and place in a lightly oiled pan oven ( prseam down. Cover and let rise a gain for 45 minutes. Bake at 450 for the first 10 minutes, turn down to 350 and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Let cool down about 10 minute before removing from pan, then continue to cool on rack .

My oven ( probably like most ovens) is hotter in the back than the front, so I rotate the pan half way through so it gets a relatively even bake.

It's possible it could have used a few more minutes, but im notorious for burning the crust so I'm a little hesitant. I've never had a crust come out so perfectly evenly cooked before.

Sounds like you did everything perfectly, Larry. From Kneading to rising, to baking. I go back to the cooling, perhaps a wee tad longer in the pan.

Again I say, I was always led to believe that the cooling in the pan was in order to give the bread (sides) time to firm up. For the same reasons that you should not slice it too soon as you just squish the crumb into a mass and mishappen the bread (down).

Also should you worry about too much "browning" (burnt!):whistling, try making a cap of foil for the top. Very loose, just sitting on top with a slight dome shape.

under baked. the structure is still soft enough to "shrink" as it cools.

if you have an instant read type thermometer, go for 190-200'F internally.
(high fat breads need the higher end of the range)

Yes, I always use a thermometer. Even with the pullman loaf pan.

"cooling in the pan was in order to give the bread (sides) time to firm up" - just to further clarify what I mean, the whole loaf is sort of being supported by the dome of the loaf on the edge of the pan while it cools enough to support itself.

Also perhaps it was in a draft? Or very cool/cold in your kitchen? Looking again at your middle picture the top seems a bit 'wrinkled' as in shrinking or collapsing as well. Could just be the picture - even though a picture is worth a thousand words they can also be very deceiving! LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom